Thread: rpm were?

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

rpm were?

hi, i will like to know were the rpm file that i install were are they storage? and how do i unistall them?

thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

the rpms are archives of your running software. they are not copied but unpacked. if you want to uninstall, read your manual.

you can do rpm -q -l <package name without version number and .rpm> to see all the files provided by an installed package.

Donīt delete any! I donīt really feel like you know (yet) what you are talking about...
  5. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    The contents of rpm files could be stored anywhere, depending on where the creator of the rpm package intended the files to be stored. I've seen them put files in /etc, /sbin, /bin, /usr/share, /usr/lib etc. To determine where rpm put the files for a specific package, you could type:

rpm -qil <package name>

Option 'q' queries for the package, option 'i' lists some information about the package, 'l' lists the files installed by the package and their locations . If you use only the 'q' option, then only the package name will be listed. You can use this to figure out where the rpm package put the files.

If you don't know the exact package name or want to view all the packages you could use:
    rpm -qa
    or
    rpm -qail

If you want to remove an RPM package, you could use:
    rpm -e <package name>

You can type rpm --help to view all the options.
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; February 20th, 2002 at 03:50 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo