1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

problems with two ethernet cards.

Firstly I have successfully got my linux machine onto a windows network using eth0. When i try to hook up to the internet through my server i get a no access through ISA server message. Is there anyway to let my linux machine have access like all my other windows machines, without using internet connection sharing on my server?

Secondly, as i can't figure the above out, i have been trying to connect to my adsl router directly using a second ethernet card. One for the network one for the adsl. With one ethertnet card i can access the internet through adsl, however as soon as i try having another ethernet card for my network, my internet connection is stopped. It looks as though it's using the network settings to connect to the internet - why?

So with one ethernet card i can have internet access only or network access only. With two i can only have network access

How do i specify my linux machine to use eth1 for network stuff and eth0 for the internet?
    Or another solution if there is one!

Please help
    Regards Muz
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ok, for your first question. I don't know how your windows boxes are reaching the internet if your server isn't running ICS or NAT. It's got to be, maybe I need more info about your network.

For the second question, ok what distrobution are you using? And how are you configuring your connection? If you are using redhat, you can edit the configurations manually in, I belive its like /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ethx-cfg where ethx can be eth0 or eth1, actaully the name of the script is different but you will know it when you see it. Well if you are using redhat, and you find the scripts, you can configure them manually as in whether DHCP is enabled or the GATEWAY. A man will tell you the exact syntax. If you aren't using RH or if that doesn't work, just supply more info and I or someone else will try to help more .. hope this helps ..
    Pulse

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo