Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Born Looser
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Best HTML editor for Linux

Yo!,
    I made a perfect Aqua button using Gimp. But What to do If I can't put it on my page? Hmm I need a HTML editor. Oh Quanta is answer but it is like ye old Html editors. (Psst! there is ViM).
    But A question Is which all of them is best?
    ViM/Quantus/Even I can Use Gedit. But which is best. I heard of wine and found that I can Run DW from Linux. But What Should I use in Production Environment.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

5. 11
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

I rather like quanta, bluefish, or emacs.

I also use Dreamweaver when I'm doing general page layouts/ theme creation, but when I find I'm creating an HTML template to integrate with my code I end up using quanta or emacs. I still end up handcoding most of my code, at least to "stitch" together and clean up DW created HTML.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

It always depends a bit. I do not count DW as a HTML editor. If you need it, you can safely ignore the rest of this post (and look in the app database at Codeweavers, it's mentioned there).

Quanta and Bluefish are good editors for those who need a Windoze-like interface, being based on Qt or KDE. They remind me a bit of 1stPage or Homesite and have the usual click'n'dialog buttons for common HTML elements.

I personally use GViM at the moment, because its keyboard-only control is very comfortable (and the UI is faster than any Qt stuff - that does make a difference on my machine). All it takes is the 30 minutes tutorial and a quick look through the menus. And since I like to adhere to standards, e. g. XHTML, it's perfect, giving me full control over the (naturally self-written) code.
  9. Born Looser

Angry YEap DW if u need and Quanta If u don't

Ok,
    Its clear now. I am trying to configure that crappy Wine. If I suceeded I will start using My DW thingie. Still now Whenever I type Wine sol.exe I get error. I read the manual for Wine but It is confusing me. Any way I will Make it work.
    I am working With GIMP so that grfx for my pages come handy from within Linux.

Till then I will use Quanta. Man Quanta is Cool. I will do some html with Emac just to make sure I know what it is and how to work with Emacs. Rest this topic must be closed If U have wine. All the good things on WinBlows can be run on Linux using Wine. I think So.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  11. No Profile Picture

Re: YEap DW if u need and Quanta If u don't

Originally posted by shleda
    I am trying to configure that crappy Wine.
    I am not an expert on Wine. However, I know for sure that - given a default configuration - Solitaire will run (of course you have a Windoze partition mounted and you are either in the directory where sol.exe is or giving the full path, aren't you?) acceptably. What Wine build do you use? If you don't have it already, I suggest you get the RPM from wine.codeweavers.com (also have a look at the Apps Database and the screenshots). It has a setup wizard and is rather easy to use.
  13. Born Looser

Angry I always login as root

I don't want to abuse any one in this forum. But Please, I always login as Root to my Linux machine. I think and I will definitly configure Wine. Hmm lemme look at the links u gave. Thanx Pal
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
  15. No Profile Picture

i recommend bluefish... it is very powerful html editor for web designer...
  17. 11

Re: I always login as root

Originally posted by shleda
    But Please, I always login as Root to my Linux machine.
    You do realize that saying "you always login as root" is the equivalent of screaming "Hi! I'm a newbie" at the top of your lungs, right?

It's a VERY bad idea to always login as root- you should only be using root to install software or configure major parts of your system, not for general use. There are too many ways you can bungle your box as root, and root should be used sparingly.

No offense meant, but if it's true you really should be rethinking how you use user accounts on your boxes. . .
  19. Born Looser

Unhappy Should I not Login as root

OK,
    I think I had enough of that. every one(even on deviant art) ask me to use my user account and never login as root untill unless not required. But at home It is only me who care to use Linux all other prefer Win till now and aren't used of Linux. Does that mean I am wrong?
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
  21. 11

I've said my p(ie|ea)ce. I would respond to your post above, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Hero Zzyzzx; March 28th, 2002 at 11:57 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture

Exclamation

shleda:
    Not logging in as root is not only a matter of multi-user system usage and respect of other users' privacy. If you are frequently logged in as root and use that account for all tasks, any malicious code that you might get onto your system will be much more harmful than if you are logged on as a normal user and additionally you risk to break your system if you do something wrong.

Lastly, although this is not much of an argument, that's simply unusual.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up

quanta

It's always fun to try and fix your stuff you broke when doing trivial tasks in root and not having a clue at what, where you went wrong.
  27. Throws Rocks

:: clears throat ::

vi
    Two things have come out of Berkeley, Unix and LSD.
    It is uncertain which caused the other.
  29. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Vi !
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo