1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using Linux on a Windows2K network

I have windows2000 installed on my 1st HD and Linux installed on the 2nd HD

My question is, when Im using linux on my PC how can the other PC's running windows2000, still browse my Windows HD.

Also Id like to know if its posible for me to still browse the Windows2000 network whilst using Linux
  3. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

To make your Windoze HD accessible to the network, you have to configure Samba properly. -> Google

For "browsing the network", there is some stuff in KDE which afair should be easy to locate (I think there is even something in Konqueror for that purpose).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

the other windows 2k computers should be able to browse the windows HD but only read-only, they (nor the linux computer) will be able to write to it. The linux kernel only supports NTFS as read-only. the write support is listed as 'dangerous'. (this assumes that the win2k HD is ntfs and not fat32). so under linux you can mount the drive as read-only and share it using samba, but only as read-only as well.

as for browsing the other win2k with linux, i believe that this should be more transparent using samba, but i can't say for sure.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo