1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question kernel re-compilation

Ohoy Penguins!
    I have recently managed to compile a kernel (2.4.17), for the first time. But what are the steps I need to take if I want to recompile it? I forgot some options in the configuration...

Do I really have to do all the make:ing again (i.e: dep, bzImage, modules, modules_install) ? And are the options I choose on my first kernel compile still there or do I have to re-choose everything again in menuconfig?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Do I really have to do all the make:ing again (i.e: dep, bzImage, modules, modules_install) ? And are the options I choose on my first kernel compile still there or do I have to re-choose everything again in menuconfig?
    yes, you have to start with "make [menu|x]config" and then dep, bzImage, modules, modules_install; and: depmod, cp|mv|make install, lilo.

if you donīt "make clean", the compilation should be much faster since modules that didnīt change arenīt compiled again. afaik "make clean" is only needed sometimes after applying kernel patches.

for the last question: why donīt you just try? - yes, theyīll be there just as you left them
  5. Contributing User

Actually you don't have to make dep everytime, just the first one and if you didn't compilled in any new module nether you don't have to make module etc.

Usually I do this: make menuconfig; make bzImage; install new kernel and lilo
  7. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

thanks for your replies Hirsch & riv

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo