1. Charge into the Knight
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Question about moving from Windows to Linux

We are moving from a Windows server to a Linux box. What problems could I run into with my programmed code. I will be running PHP 4.2.1. All I am looking for is for some general information. Thanks.
    Every man is a fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists of not exceeding the limit.-- Elbert Hubbard
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Are you talking about your PHP code?If so,you will maybe need to change some path (if there are any in your code) since stuff like "C:\test.test" wont work in Linux.Other than that I think it should work.Never had any problems so far with my php code on Linux <=> Windows.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

there is really only few differences that i know of
    - on usage of the system functions system(), exec(), passthru() ...
    - on usage of slashes. for winxx you sometimes even need double-backslashes on php (like in c) and sometimes you get them from functions (file upload eg.)
    - on linux you have to deal with file and directory permissions now. this is not related to php directly, but is a UNIX thing. if you create / copy / move files in your scripts, they probably won´t work out-of-the-box.
    - no COM support for linux (who needs this anyway?)

in general i think moving from windows to linux will make things work better. afaik php runs best and supports the most libraries on linux.

yes, look out for installing the same libraries! (gd, mysql, ...)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo