1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Unsupported monitor

I m currently using Redhat linux 7,which come with Xfree86 4.0.1(I think so).When the system was trying to configure my X-server by giving me options to choose my monitor,I can't find it in the list.And I don't know the specifications of my monitor too.

Could this be the Xfree86 version is out of date?Should I get a new version?

Specs:
    monitor : Acerview 715e
    vga card : MSI Geforce 2 MX
    Motherboard : Asus cuv4x/Pentium 3 motherboard

Please help
  3. Is a Psycho

If you can't find a driver for your monitor, try using the "Custom" or "Generic" driver. If you select this driver you should be prompted for the video frequency, try 50-90 or 50-70 if they are available. You should be able to find info on your monitor on the back of it.

I'm not actually shaw that the "Generic" is called "Generic" or "Custom" in the 7.0 distribution. Mainly because I haven't needed to use it since I got my 17" Hyundai DeluxScan 7770 Dream. Plus, I haven't used linux in a long time.

If you don't get anywhere with that, try searching the internet for information on that particular model monitor (search example: "Acerview 715e" AND Linux). I recommend using yahoo, but use what you prefer...

Hope this is some help...
    deepspring

- "Netscape 4 users are like lemmings... You can't help but laugh when one falls off a cliff"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The Suse installer let me load the windows drivers for my monitor from a floppy,and it works fine.Its even a TFT monitor
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

do you have a windows driver for your monitor? i can translate the .inf file to an XFree Modeline (SuSE comes with a script for this)

there is no such thing as "unsupported Monitor" for linux. i even made one work that wasn´t supposed to run on a PC at all (fyi: "Sync on Green", no VESA compliance)

ask mr.google (or yahoo, lycos, alta, whatever you prefer). it takes some digging, but i found the specs for any monitor i searched for

[edit]
    hey, tuxie, you got me by a few seconds
    boyd: afaik "Acerview" is an OEM of some other brand. open the case and look for stickers inside or on the board...
    [/edit]
    Last edited by M.Hirsch; May 31st, 2002 at 12:21 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Lol, but my post is shorter than yours...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo