1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Trouble starting Red Hat 7.0 from a boot disk.

Dear Everybody,

I have recently completed an instillation of Red Hat 7.0 in a dual boot configuration alongside Windows XP. I began the process by loading Windows first and then loading Red Hat. Also I followed all the relevant advice in regard to loading LILO in the first sector of the root partition (not the MBR which apparently is disastrous for Windows NT varieties). My Red Hat install was a success and I created a boot disk to use when loading Red Hat.
    Unfortunately upon trying to load Red Hat via the boot disk I am met with a number of erroneous error messages. The following list shows a snippet of the messages that I am receiving.

local host login: According to var/run/gdm.pid, gdm was already running (668) but seems to have been murdered mysteriously.

local host login: According to var/run/gdm.pid, gdm was already running (698) but seems to have been murdered mysteriously.

local host login: According to var/run/gdm.pid, gdm was already running (710) but seems to have been murdered mysteriously.

local host login: ..

local host login: According to var/run/gdm.pid, gdm was already running (5951) but seems to have been murdered mysteriously.

This message continues to be displayed with the number in brackets (xxxx) increasing continuously. Each time a new line of error message is displayed the computer screen flickers to black three times. If anybody has any idea about what is causing these errors and/or any suggestions on how to remedy them they will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards

David
  3. Introspective
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

odd one

I'm not a guru, but two things that strike me are: 1) if you have LILO properly configured, you shouldn't need the boot disk.. presuming that your intention was for a proper duel boot. What happens when you try without the floppy?
    2) A flickering screen suggests to me that your system might be strugging to start X. If you can boot from hdx or CD, try dropping your run level in /etc/inittab from level 5 to level 1. Save and reboot to see if you can get a steady linux load. Then go look at your /etc/X11/XF86Config to check your screen settings - you might find it easier to re-install and let the installation process reprobe your hardware.

I just did a google, and found this too:
    First, login in as root using the "single" argument for the kernel. Then, at the shell prompt type: /usr/X11R6/bin/Xautoconfig
    That should do the trick. You may occasionally see the respawning thing pop up again. Just keep applying Xautoconfig... Also, substituting X11 for the X11R6 directory seems to work also
    (link: http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/833.html)

I hope that's some help,
    Christo

edit: And I notice that this is your first thread - welcome to the madness
    Last edited by christo; June 16th, 2002 at 04:29 PM.
    This is me: http://chris.uk.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo