1. watch for flying fingers
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Ubuntu really freaking slow on HP dv6113

I've been battling this problem for months. Ubuntu on my HP laptop is really slow. I had FC8 before installing Ubuntu and had no problems with speed. Any ideas on where I could start looking to fix this? I'm using Nvidia's graphics driver configured for dual monitors. Could this be a problem with my configuration? Could it be some kernel parameter that I'm not passing? a bios setting?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by linuxChique
    I've been battling this problem for months. Ubuntu on my HP laptop is really slow.
    How much RAM? I had a similar issue with my desktop b.c Xorg was using on average 500MB of RAM. I added more RAM and of now I am able to use only 3GB of the 4GB I have installed (2 2GB RAM sticks) and haven't quite figured out why, but I dont have a reason to just yet. 3GB works just fine for me.

TOP on the cmd line will show you what is running and how much RAM it is using.
  5. Born Looser

strange

I have Ubuntu 8.04 on my cheap compaq presario celeron notebook with 512 mb ram and full cpmpiz settings, desktop cube, this and that, everything enabled and speed is amazing. In fact I ahve converted die hard Vista fans to Ubuntu Geeks just by showing my laptop. Some thing must be wrong with your installation.
    Kumar Chetan Sharma
    -----

_SelfProcclaimedGuru
    Hire a LAMP guy.
    To err is human. To blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, it is downright natural.
  7. No Profile Picture

i have the same issue on 2 laptops. ubuntu 12.04 lts was really dodgy on them... one is intel 2.5ghz dualcore(t61) and other one was some 1.7 celeron perhaps... both moving like snails
    t61 also gets very hot, although the fan doesnt ever switch off... xp runs totally fine on both...
    should i try freebsd or the fedora then?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo