1. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

GRUB misconfigured -- can't boot, can't repair file

Running Debian Squeeze.

The new GRUB2 was supposed to configure itself from the old grub, but got the kernel image partition wrong.

I have booted from Knoppix live cd, but need to write to system files. I have searched, and found several suggestions that apparently work on Win machines, but RO permission for root on Linux is a harder nut to crack.

Has anyone any suggestions for getting write permission on grub.cfg, or on the grub conf file in /etc?

cheers,

gary
    Last edited by kk5st; October 29th, 2009 at 12:06 AM.
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

My html and css workshop, demos and tutorials.
    Ask a better question, get a better answer.
  3. No Profile Picture
    I AM A GOLDEN GOD
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Should be simple enough. Load up the live cd and create a mount point, let's say /debmnt. Mount your root partition there and then if the boot partition is separate, mount it just underneath. Once these are mounted, edit the menu.lst file and save. Umount and reboot. I don't believe grub requires you to chroot and perform any other actions.

I typically do this with just the regular boot install CD, as you can CTRL-ALT-F2 or F3 and get a shell to do some quick hack. nano or vi are usually available as editors.

Comments on this post

• kk5st agrees
    "Seriously, we're not a search engine, we're actual people." ~ ManiacDan

BookMooch.com : Give books away. Get books you want.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If it's just a matter of repairing grub you could try downloading supergrub iso.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  7. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

@ lnxgeek: Thanks, worked as advertised. Amazing how many convoluted methods you can find out there that don't work. Now if I can just get the thing to boot on its own.

@ Doug G: Can you give me a synopsis of the what and how of supergrub? I'm not finding a lot on my first search beyond where to get it. I'm afraid I know a lot less about what's going on than I did when I first switched to Linux ten years ago; generally, it just works, and upgrades just slide in. Not this time, with grub2.

cheers,

gary
    Last edited by kk5st; October 29th, 2009 at 02:35 AM.
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

My html and css workshop, demos and tutorials.
    Ask a better question, get a better answer.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Supergrub is just a bootable CD that relieves you of many details when trying to repair/reconfigure grub. Visit the supergrub documentation wiki and look at the section about 'boot problems and solutions'.

I once spent about an hour trying to decipher the grub command line while trying to manually get a messed-up grub to work again, got frustrated, ran supergrub and let it scan and fix my boot files. Problem solved. Supergrub CD back in the collection of handy software tools.

Comments on this post

• kk5st agrees : Thanks, that will help.
    • lnxgeek agrees : Nice tip, thanks.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo