1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can't Copy a File

Hello everyone. When i do cp filename destinationfolder it isn't happening. I don't get any error messages or any indication that the file copy didn't happen. But when I go to the destination folder and do ls; the file(s) not there. I tried it with sudo also and i get the same results. When I first did the copy it actually copied it somwhere but not where i wanted it. It copied it to folder name Desktop. So i tried copying it from Desktop and again same results. Can someone please help me with this?
  3. Contributing User

Ummm, what is the *exact* command-line you are trying to run? Also, run cp with the "-v" option to get more info.
    badger badger badger badger
    badger badger badger badger
    MUSHROOM MUSHROOM
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I tried cp filename /destinationfolder I'll try it with the option you suggested and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the reply.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

*nix-based commands often are 'quiet' when they work correctly, only producing output on error. The -v (verbose) option will be usefulas suggested, but I suspect that you are specifying the destination incorrectly and what will be happening is that you are creating a file in the current directory with the same name as your desired destination directory.
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo