1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help with Fedora linux, on intel core 2 duo i686, wireless wlan0 interface !

Dear all,
    I would be very grateful if you could help me with the following very serious problem which appeared while using my laptop. Unfortunately, I am using fc7, which cannot change for the moment (I will be leaving next week and I need the laptop with me to work).
    I am following an on-line course on Perl that has ended but it is still on the web. The last exercise on the regular expressions, is saying to install a virtuall machine to use for the regular expressions exercises. I do not know why they
    want this but I followed the following instructions:
    Installing Ubuntu inside your preferred operating system (OS) using VirtualBox
    1) Download the Ubuntu hard disk image from HERE and unzip it.
    Note: the zipped file is ~2Gb / the unzipped file is >3Gb !

2) Download VirtualBox from HERE.
    Select the appropriate OS download: Windows, Mac Intel, etc. (I USED VB FOR LINUX HOSTS, for i386)

3) On your Desktop, create a folder named 'PERL_share'
    (Caps are important)

4) Install VirtualBox.

5) Start VirtualBox.
    We’re going to be making a new virtual machine.:

(in my case it skiped the step with the virtual media manager)

As far as I know using, a Virtual machine is like running ubuntu in fedora, but not using the hard disk. I thought there was a special function/program that they had installed concerning regular expressions, in ubuntu, so that it was "necessary" to do that step. So I intalled VB.

After a few days that I tried to connect with wireless internet from the laptop, with a mobile broadband modem stick , which I bought, and which works with card (model HUAWEI E173), it was not possible to connect. Unfortunately from the company I bought the modem stick they cannot support linux problems in depth/detail.

I tried to activate the Wlan0 interface of the laptop (through system--administration--network gui as root) but instead I got the following messageevice Wlan0 does not seem to be present delaying initialisation.
    I typed su - and password and ifconfig -a
    which gave the following :

-bash-3.2# ifconfig -a
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:B7:55:3F:E7
    inet addr:192.168.1.70 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::215:b7ff:fe55:3fe7/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:622 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:717 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:411005 (401.3 KiB) TX bytes:121785 (118.9 KiB)
    Base address:0xbfe0 Memory:ffce0000-ffd00000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:9574 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:9574 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:76351120 (72.8 MiB) TX bytes:76351120 (72.8 MiB)

and

vboxnet0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 0A:00:27:00:00:00
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

instead of :

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1B:77:35:34:43

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-1B-77-35-34-43-98-1A-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

which is the default for ifconfig -a command.

I have tried to bring up wlan0 but it is impossible.The wireless network device of my laptop is *02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network
    Connection (rev 02)* but this is under ethernet and not wireless connection, in the GUI. I do not understand why?

What can I do? Is it possible that the wlan0 information has been erased from the wireless interface due to the VB? What could have happened and how could I restore this problem? Is this something reversible?

I would be very grateful for your help,
    I look forward to hearing from you,
    best,
    markon
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'd backup everything off the laptop, wipe it clean and reinstall current fedora 15. You'll find wireless is much easier to set up. You can try it out with a live CD.

Fedora Core 7 is way to out of date to spend any time trying to fix it if it gets too messed up.

My guess, if you skipped the step to create a virtual machine for the disk image you downloaded, you probably did something that was intended to run on the new OS in the VM but actually ran on your primary Fedora OS. You should practice some with virtualizations to get a feel for how they work. I didn't see in your comments that you ever booted into your ubuntu vm.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

help with Fedora linux wireless interface problem

Dear Doug G,

My guess, if you skipped the step to create a virtual machine for the disk image you downloaded, you probably did something that was intended to run on the new OS in the VM but actually ran on your primary Fedora OS. You should practice some with virtualizations to get a feel for how they work.

I just followed exactly the instructions, unfortunately. The installation skipped the step, for some reason.

I didn't see in your comments that you ever booted into your ubuntu vm.

Yes I booted and I tried using regular expressions just a little.

I have installed an important program in fc7, which someone else has installed for me on the laptop. Now it does not work after all this, although the program did not require internet access. Probably it has to do with the wireless network interface somehow but I don't know how. Would you have any idea?
    I am a biologist with little computational knowledge. I could not wipe off everything from my laptop and install fedora15 or centos which is the best distribution for the biomolecular software I have installed (but currently does not work and even if I install centos I could not reinstall the program bymyself).

Would it be possible for you to explain abit more what you meant with the wireless set up with the CD? Could I try doing it now on fc7?

thanks for your reply,
    if you could suggest something else apart from removing fc7, for the moment, please let me know. I would be grateful.
    I look forward to hearing from you,
    best,
    markon
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You might be able to use the computer if you use a Fedora live CD. You'll have access to your computer hard drive even though you booted from a CD.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo