1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How Does Red Hat Earn Money?

how does the linux community earn money??
    as far as i know there exists no way for the linux community to earn money..

because my understanding of GPL :
    if you write code
    or if you distribute program
    you MUST provide source code.

but how does that allow the Red hat community or the mandriva power editions to charge us??

-Lokesh
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm going to give you a few links to read because everything you're asking about can be answered with 5 seconds on Google.

redhat Services and Products
    Canonical: What we do
    GPL FAQ
    Selling Free Software
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Sorry but the links and the google search i did didnt make any sense to me.

can you simplify the thing and tell me??

based on my understanding i think that conanical and redhat earn money for "support" or "updating" their operating system for big companies?

am I right?
  7. Transforming Moderator

In a nutshell, their business plan is to provide more than just an operating system. Support, consulting, tools, training...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  11. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Originally Posted by Lokesh1996
    how does the linux community earn money??
    as far as i know there exists no way for the linux community to earn money..

because my understanding of GPL :
    if you write code
    or if you distribute program
    you MUST provide source code.

but how does that allow the Red hat community or the mandriva power editions to charge us??

-Lokesh
    The GPL doesn't say you shouldn't charge for the source code. It only says you must let people have a way to get to the source code. If I provide linux source code on a USB stick, I can charge for the cost of the USB stick, postage, processing and handling fee, service fee etc. Of course, you may not like to pay all that and so you'd go to someone else to get it, but you can't deny that I'm not following the GPL.

Incidentally, I used to support RedHat for many years by buying the CD package of every Linux release from RedHat 5.1 upwards (until about RH 9.0), even if I never used them. I've also done that with OpenBSD since about version 3.1.

The company that I work for also has a RedHat support contract in place. We pay for getting faster support for any issues with new hardware (kernel drivers + patches) and it has actually been used quite a few times in the past.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Incidentally, I used to support RedHat for many years by buying the CD package of every Linux release from RedHat 5.1 upwards (until about RH 9.0), even if I never used them.
    And I thought I was the only one with unused retail RedHat boxes lying around. I think I started buying them with RH4 and I think they stopped retailing around RH8 or so, at least they left the shelves of my local Best Buy store around then.

Coincidentally, that was about the time DSL became widely available and online downloads became feasible. I had 5 computers sharing a dial up connection via windows internet connection sharing, downloading anything large off the internet was out of the question.

I also have a retail SuSE 9. That one was not my best investment, I really didn't like SuSE much.
    Last edited by Doug G; August 14th, 2011 at 11:34 PM.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  15. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Actually I did use some of those RedHat CDs myself. My home webserver was RedHat 7.1 for a long time and then I switched it to RH9 for a while too. We were using RedHat for our servers at work at the company I worked at that time, but we used to download the iso files for free from the RedHat website, burn the CD and then upgrade our servers.

We had at least 120 servers at that time, running a mixture of RedHat and FreeBSD mainly, so I always felt bad about using all this software for free. Therefore, I personally made it a point to at least purchase one CD pack of every release we used at work, both RedHat and FreeBSD. We also managed to convince our management to buy some hardware for the FreeBSD and OpenBSD projects.

I also bought OpenBSD and NetBSD CDs as a matter of principle as well.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  17. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Ah, the "good old days"
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo