1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help installing Linux on Custom Computer

Hi all, i'm new to Linux and been trying to install it on my PC forever but it just won't work! You see I can get it installed but anything past that won't work such as Graphics, sometimes sound, network, etc.... I have looked around on some forums as to why it won't successfully work. If you can could you please help me in my dilema here, all help will be very much appreciated!

PC Specs:
    Mainboard: Asus M4A87TD Evo
    Chipset: AMD 870
    Processor: AMD Phenom 2 X4 925e @ 2800 MHz
    Ram: 8 Gigs
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    Hard Drive: Terabyte
    Network Card: I have two, one on the Motherboard and then a seperate Nic. The one on the board is Realtek RTL8168/8111, and the Nic is a Killer Xeno Pro.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Please include more info!! What distrobution of linux, 32 or 64bit, desktop operating environment, etc...

Originally Posted by anikan1297
    Hi all, i'm new to Linux and been trying to install it on my PC forever but it just won't work! You see I can get it installed but anything past that won't work such as Graphics, sometimes sound, network, etc.... I have looked around on some forums as to why it won't successfully work. If you can could you please help me in my dilema here, all help will be very much appreciated!

PC Specs:
    Mainboard: Asus M4A87TD Evo
    Chipset: AMD 870
    Processor: AMD Phenom 2 X4 925e @ 2800 MHz
    Ram: 8 Gigs
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    Hard Drive: Terabyte
    Network Card: I have two, one on the Motherboard and then a seperate Nic. The one on the board is Realtek RTL8168/8111, and the Nic is a Killer Xeno Pro.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by portcitysoftwar
    Please include more info!! What distrobution of linux, 32 or 64bit, desktop operating environment, etc...
    I have tried Ubuntu 12.10 and 12.04, both being 64-bit. And i'm not sure what you mean by Desktop Operating Enviornment, if your asking for my OS, i've got Windows 7 Pro.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well as long as your running64 bit then it should be a driver issue. Make sure the OS has proper drivers for your hardware.

If you have 32 bit then you can only have 4GB of physical memory total
    I have tried Ubuntu 12.10 and 12.04, both being 64-bit. And i'm not sure what you mean by Desktop Operating Enviornment, if your asking for my OS, i've got Windows 7 Pro.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

And desktop operating environment ia likely unity on Ubuntu. But could be kde, gnome,mate,xfce, cinnamon,etc.....
    Well as long as your running64 bit then it should be a driver issue. Make sure the OS has proper drivers for your hardware.

If you have 32 bit then you can only have 4GB of physical memory total
  11. No Profile Picture

And desktop operating environment ia likely unity on Ubuntu. But could be kde, gnome,mate,xfce, cinnamon,etc.....
    Do you have any distro's that you'd recommend? And also i can't find any drivers for my Killer Xeno Pro, you know where I might be able to find any?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No nit that I know of the top of my head
    Do you have any distro's that you'd recommend? And also i can't find any drivers for my Killer Xeno Pro, you know where I might be able to find any?
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks for all the help!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo