1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Linux port of Company written software

Hello everyone,

I am trying to determine what is the specific resource that is needed to successfully do the job that I will define.

Currently my company has written it's own Financial BI software that currently runs on Solaris 10 Library Binaries, and we are about to switch from Solaris 10 to Linux (SUSE) OS and will need the many different components to be ported and compile against Linux (SUSE) Library Binaries.

So my question is what type of IT person and with what skills set should we be looking for to be able to do this job? We are not looking for a contractor, but instead a full time employee for this.

Thoughts anyone?
  3. Contributing User

Well I have a basic idea here, it would require most likely a Mid Level Developer that is both familar with both Solaris and Linux. Then they would go against the code and different parts and run the process against the Linux Binaries and review the Logs and see what failed line by line and correct the syntax from the Solaris syntax to the Linus syntax to get things to work.
  5. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    What language(s) is your software written in? C? perl? awk?
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  7. Contributing User

The languages are:

C, C++, Fortran, and ISAM databases libraries all on Solaris 10 currently, and need to run on Linux/SUSE

For Relational DB's they can run anywhere, currently we us MySQL 5.0.51a and we will upgrade to MySQL 5.6.10 or higher and add in Oracle Standard 11.2.0.3
    Last edited by ByGoneYrs; March 4th, 2013 at 03:14 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo