1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Advice on upgrading Fedora

I need some advice on a server OS. My current version FEDORA 7 i686 standard and my hosting company offers Fedorda 14. When I log into WHM it says "the last attempt to update cPanel & WHM was blocked." MySQL version needs to be upgraded to 5.1 or greater. In order to do any of these updates I need to update.

Is there any benefit to upgrade if everything is working ok? I am only running 4 small websites. I really don't like touching anything on the server I don't need to.

Also they tell me if I want Cpanel I need CentOS. Fedora 14 does not have Cpanel. Is this true?
  3. Contributing User

Well, your last question depends on your hosting and their settings.

As about upgrade itself - the common rule is that if you do not know why you need this - you may relax since you definitely need this not.

The good ideas for upgrade are:
    - adding some important functionality;
    - fixing some great problem or security issue.

However, perhaps you may want not to upgrade but to switch to CentOS which you named. You can buy separate hosting from your company and ask them to setup CentOS 5 or 6 here, then copy (not move!) your web-sites, thoroughly test all functionality and see whether this step could be performed easily. If you are satisfied with the results of such test, then clean your new hosting, copy your infrastructure once again and immediately switch your domain names to it.

Or you can ask your hosting admins for advice or help on this process.
    CodeAbbey - programming problems for novice coders
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have gotten different answers from support at my hosting company. So I wanted to learn as much as I can if I attempt to do it. One told be I couldn't upgrade to Fefora 14. Then another said I could but would need CentOS because I want a cpanel.

They mentioned backing up the files. Opening the new server. Doing a migration. Does this pull over the old Cpanel? Or do you get a new cpanel with a new server?

I am confused as to what gets backed up. I need to do a backup on WHM and also the individual CPanels for each site. Then import those backups to the new server. They also mentioned a USB dive they attach. Confusting I thought I just back up and ftp the files down to my computer.

I have most of my site already on my local computer. What files actually get backed up?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo