1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to SSH/FTP and connect to wirreless connection in Virtual box

Hello,

I have installed few virtual machines <mostly ubuntu servers/redhat/centOS/choromOS> using oracle virtual box into my Ubuntu 12.04.

My first problem is I use a wireless connection in my home, but i couldnt connect to that using these virtual machines. so I can not use them properly.

My second problem is, I used a virtual wired connection among them and made a virtual network. I can ping them with no problem, but if i want to login to other machine using SSH/FTP command it says me "Port 22: Connection Refuesed" <this is found in my ubuntu server machine>.

How can i solve these two problems?

Thanks in advance.
  3. Contributing User

The main idea with VirtualBox is to choose how to setup networking at all. There are different modes - some are useful for communicating between several virtual machines hosted in one server - the others (I think, "bridged") allow connecting to the LAN in the same manner the host machine does. Third (NAT?) connects to LAN via the host machine, so that IP addresses are different.

So your question could not be answered without your thorough description of your network settings for LAN, server and virtual machines. What ifconfig tells you inside host and virtual machine?

VirtualBox networking options
    CodeAbbey - programming problems for novice coders
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by rodiongork
    The main idea with VirtualBox is to choose how to setup networking at all. There are different modes - some are useful for communicating between several virtual machines hosted in one server - the others (I think, "bridged") allow connecting to the LAN in the same manner the host machine does. Third (NAT?) connects to LAN via the host machine, so that IP addresses are different.

So your question could not be answered without your thorough description of your network settings for LAN, server and virtual machines. What ifconfig tells you inside host and virtual machine?

VirtualBox networking options
    Thank you very much for your answer. well when i first started few machines my adapter settings for those virtual machine was NAT at that point even though i changed each ip address of those machines I couldnt ping each other. then i changed those network adapters to "internal network" and then i was successful to do pinging. btw i have mannually changed all ips to static one.

I was trying to do the same thing with enabling a second adapter but for some reason i couldnt do it.

when i ran ifconfig i noticed one thing, it finds eth0-lo-wlan0 but in vertual box couldnt find wlan0, and i think which is important for me because i have a wireless conneciton.

hope its going to help you to suggest me any thing.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo