1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

strange folders appearing on my hard drive

Hi, I have some strange folders, some greyed out, others not. The one thing they have is a red circle in the bottom right corner and I can't open them.

When I double click this folder, I get a pop up saying, "the folder "Quarantine" can not be opened, because you don't have permission to see it's contents."

I'm attaching an image. Can someone tell me what this is about.

quarantine.jpg
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

more info

AddI wanted to add that I did not create these folders. The folders just appear.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

If you open a terminal and do an ls -l for the files, what do you get? It could be as simple as "you don't own the file" or "you don't have permission to see this".

From the GUI, if you right click the file and open "Info" for it, what all does it say?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Given the filename, I'd question if you have a virus checking program running, and these might be the folders / files it creates. Obviously, there's some access bit that's keeping you out of them, but there might be good reason to stay out or leave them alone. I wonder if you can delete them? In any case, what sort of virus software are you running, if any?

A quick google (you did google for this, right?) provides this description:

File Quarantine. File quarantine is a feature of Mac OS X introduced in Leopard. It is explained very well in Apple Support article HT3662, but here's the gist of it: when you download a potentially dangerous file using a quarantine-aware application (such as Safari or Mail), that file will be “quarantined.”Jun 17, 2012

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo