1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Able to send but unable to receive emails

Hi all,

I am a beginner and very recently I have started looking in to technical stuffs. I have installed webmin on my Cent OS and have configured pretty much everything from there. However I am not able to trouble shoot my email problem.

I have configured Postfix through my webmin and I am able to send outgoing emails. But I am not able to receive any emails on that address. I have added Mail Server Records in Bind DNS Zone but nothing seems to work.

I can see mx records for my domain only with www but not without www. Also I got the following headsup from pingability,

This mail server on IP (xx.xx.xx.xx) has no reverse DNS (PTR) record. Some email servers require a PTR record from any server that connects to them and reject any email from a mail server without a PTR record.

I am not sure how to fix this issue? Please help me in resolving this issue.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by fuel4mind
    I can see mx records for my domain only with www but not without www. Also I got the following headsup from pingability,
    What exactly does your zone file look like? What are the MX records you have listed?

This mail server on IP (xx.xx.xx.xx) has no reverse DNS (PTR) record. Some email servers require a PTR record from any server that connects to them and reject any email from a mail server without a PTR record.
    You can contact your ISP to set up rDNS. A PTR should not necessarily prevent emails from being received.

Have you added the domain(s) to receive email from to your server? There is a section within Webmin to allow you to do this.

Can you send email within the domain? (user1@domain.com --> user2@domain.com)?

Have you checked your log files yet?
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Sorry I couldn't post my records here as it contains links. You can see my records and other info at

https:// www. virtualmin. com /node/21677
  7. They're coming to take me away

Try changing your zone file to something along these lines:

example.com. IN SOA ns1.example.com. email@example.com. {
    }

example.com. IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    www.example.com. IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    mail.example.com. IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    ns1.example.com. IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    ns2.example.com. IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    (and whatever other A records you need get added along with the 3 above this)

example.com. IN MX 10 mail.example.com.

example.com. IN NS ns1.example.com.
    example.com. IN NS ns2.example.com.
    After any change, make sure you restart the named service.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What program are you using as a MDA? As far as I know postfix doesn't create mailboxes, it only accepts incoming mail and hands it off to your mail delivery agent. My mail server uses a combination of postfix and dovecot/dovecot imap. Dovecot is what creates the user mailbox storage for incoming mail.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo