1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Accesing totally html when reading an email

In first place, hi everyone, I expect to be able to get some useful info from my posts here and if I can help anyone I'll be happy to do so.

Onto my question, I'm not even too sure if it goes here, but I think it's the most appropiate forum, right now I've tested the sending of a html email with statistical graphics done in GWT, more exactly a LineGraph, and although I can see in the preview editor that it's shown correctly (I'd like to post the link to show this but I'm not allowed) when I read the sent email either in hotmail or gmail it doesn't display any statistical graph just plain data.

I understand that due to security reasons emails cannot be easily shown as html directly, at least some advice should be given before visualizing it, but I find a bit strange that I can create an email that allows to show that type of data but I cannot read it even with the views that I understand should allow it (html views).

żIs it imposible to view complex html when reading an email? If so, I'll just send the html as an attachment, but if you can point me about how to do it, I'll try it that way.

Also converting it to an image that would be allowed to be inserted easily seems to be too hard to pull off, I'd just stick with sending it as an attachment. So I'd ask you not to bother pointing at this possible solution unless you know some easy way to also convert it into image.

Thanks for your help a lot.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The email system is entirely text based. Binary data must be encoded (with Base64 for example) into text at one end, and converted back to binary at the other end. Email standards permit certain objects (determined by the file extension name) to be embedded within the body of a message, but whether it displays properly at the other end or not depends on the receiving software.

To verify that you are receiving what you are sending, you need to compare the encoded document you send to the encoded document you receive. In other words, you need to examine the HTML code, which your email software may or may not permit. Also, some client email software permits the message to be exported to your default browser for viewing. Generally speaking, your browser has more HTML capabilities than your client email software.

Of course, all that is moot if you are using browser based email. Then you are very heavily dependent on the Email Service Provider to provide the facilities you need for conversion and transport.

J.A. Coutts
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Sending complex HTML in an email is not generally a good idea. Support for HTML in emails varies drastically from one email client to the next, and many HTML features are intentionally disabled for security reasons. Additionally, virtually all email clients block JavaScript from emails (for good security reasons), and if you're generating dynamic line graphs you are almost certainly relying on JavaScript for it.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Gmail is basically support simple HTML and you are trying to send complex html. It is not possible in these free Mail Server. You must go with some paid mail software. But the mail receiver person must install that software.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo