1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

backup MX when one host is down

Hello ppl,

those days ware the wirst days in my last few months , now my hosting company had a big down time .

I searced the net and I found that on www.no-ip.com offers an backup MX , they say that when my host is offline all the emails going to my domain.com are going to their domain .. and if my server is not coming back online for 5 days the emails will be deleted from that server .., but if the server is coming back online, which is normal, the emails will be sent to my server .

Can I do this if I have another host? and not paying the no-ip.com for that service. Is this posible by some configuration on the server to do what they say they do ??

10x in advance

see ya all
    Check this to see some nice 360 panormaic images from Sibiu. [ Quick Time required ! ] , visit Sibiu website to find out what's happening in Sibiu, or visit our forum from this adress :Sibiu forum
    Luxury Gadgets - The finest expression of luxury
  3. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Many places offer backup MX for a reasonable cost (UKFSN is one).

You have to create an extra high-distance MX record in DNS for your domain, so you'll need to do this with whoever manages your DNS. You'll then need to point this MX record to the IP address of the server that will pick up your mail if the primary host fails.
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo