1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question can't establish SMTP connection (#4.4.1)

I setup my webmail server with qmail, vpopmail, courier-imap. everything is done and i can send/receive mail within my domain. My rcpthosts is ok.

I get this error msg "deferal: Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection.(#4.4.1) I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long ... " in my logs.

I cant figure out where the prob is. i dont have smtproutes since i wanna send directly to the ineternet from my server.
    I configured my ipchains to accept smtp and pop3 in and out. If I send a mail eg from yahoo, i get the same msg from yahoo's mailer-daemon.

i have a domain/mailserver mailhost.abc.org on a different machind, and this can send and receive mail from my domain in question webmail.abc.org, but i cant receive from any other remote domain.

I can telnet to webmail.abc.org 25.
    everuthing seems to be running, but i just cant get thru to other domains.
    Anyone pliz help???????????
  3. The Evil Monkey

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying you can't send mail from your server to other domains, like yahoo.com or hotmail.com? Or do you mean you can't send mail to your server from other mail accounts like Hotmail and Yahoo?

You said "Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection" but you didn't say if that was YOUR server giving you that message after trying to send out, or if you are getting that on your bounce messages from Hotmail after trying to send to your server.

>> I can telnet to webmail.abc.org 25.

That's good, but you should try going through the whole process. Try to give it everything it needs so you can complete a successful email. Check out this thread where I explained how to complete a full telnet session...

http://forums.devshed.com/t225308/s.html

However, in your case, I would recommend being on another machine and telnetting to yours. In the thread above, I am saying to telnet on the localhost, which is not what you should do.

Much like in his case, you should also review the logs carefully under qmail-smtpd to see what messages are being generated when other servers are trying to deliver mail to your system.
  5. No Profile Picture

<<<<<I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying you can't send mail from your server to other domains, like yahoo.com or hotmail.com? Or do you mean you can't send mail to your server from other mail accounts like Hotmail and Yahoo?

>>>>BOTH

<<<<<You said "Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection" but you didn't say if that was YOUR server giving you that message after trying to send out, or if you are getting that on your bounce messages from Hotmail after trying to send to your server.

>>>>>BOTH FROM MY SERVER LOGS(when i try sending out) >>>>>AND ON BOUNCES FROM YAHOO(when i try sending to >>>>>my server from yahoo)
  7. The Evil Monkey

You didn't provide a real domain name, so there's no way to check and see if you have an MX record setup for your domain name. You may also be having firewall problems. If you can give the domain name, I will be glad to test from my end and see if there are connection problems. You may also want to run an nmap on your machine to see if the firewall is really allowing those connections through.

Otherwise, the only thing I can suggest is running /var/qmail/bin/qmail-showctl and post the output so we can see how youv'e got qmail configured. Maybe also post your run files here so we can see how you're running qmail-smtpd.

Sorry, I can't thnk of much else at the moment.
  9. No Profile Picture

Exclamation

zvava bhoo manje
    But i now have a slightly different problem.

I have a mail server running qmail and vpopmail.
    its hostname is webmail.domain.com
    its default domain is domain.com
    I have a virtual domail called domain.com in /home/vpopmail/domains/
    rcpthosts file has one entry => webmail.domail.com
    and ~vpopmail/etc/defaultdomain is domain.com
    in the DNS localzone, I have

domain.com IN MX webmail.domain.com.
    webmail IN A 1.2.3.4

I can send mail to any address in the world BUT I can't receive mail on this server.
    in the reversezone i have:

4 IN PTR webmail.domain.com.

What could be the problem?
  11. No Profile Picture

Seems your server has been used by spammer.
    It happened to me too. makes me working 4 days night and day to make it back to normal.

This indicate that qmail has been suffered for the queue.
    First make sure you are not in relaying SMTP to anyone.
    Check if you have formmail (PHP/Perl script) that can be trigger to send mass mailing, if so fix it. Make your queuelifetime not more than one day.
    That's for the first day.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo