1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Domain of sender address does not exist.

I've googled and tested for days and can't fix this.
    I have a server with several email accounts, and no signs of other problems. All accounts are sending and receiving fine. However, there is one mail server that replies with

Domain of sender address does not exist.
    I cannot send or receive to this email address.
    Outgoing get stuck in queue, and no sign of incoming ever reaching my server.

I have ran dig commands and tested on dns checkers and no errors appear. Spf records are detected with no errors. Nameservers ping fine.

The catch is NO domains on this particular server can send to this email address or receive from this email address. Other servers can send and receive just fine. Not sure what else to check.

[edit] my mta is postfix [/edit]
    Last edited by nightFix; September 4th, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The domain name (not the email address) you are having trouble with would be helpful.

J.A. Coutts
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

PM'd. Not sure mine is working though because all I have are a stack of unread sent PM's. Maybe dns errors on the localhost too. jk
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Interesting. After finding a few domains with no comm, it turns out they all have 199.255.255.255 addresses, and
    logs similar to these:
    Code:
    [199.193.200.100] west.smtp.exch031.serverdata.net
    Code:
    [199.253.21.25] by imf29.hostedemail.com
    any ideas?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well it looks like one of these name servers went down because I cannot ping them, but I can query the other servers where the content is hosted.

Yet, a different one I cannot query with nslookup because they always come back with REFUSED even with requests for recursion. This goes for several other originating ips.

I find it hard to believe I am the only one having these problems for weeks, yet, they work fine from other servers. Most of these domains are old, and should have propagated and cached long ago. I pointed my mx record to a different mail server and it goes through fine now. I am still failing to see where my problem lies.

Regardless, thanks for the help earlier.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Our name servers had ns entries for the domain, then an A entry for the ns entry created by the DNS temlplate in the admin panel.

According to fastnext This created a stealth name server, and for some reason MS Exchange servers rejected some domains because of this. Not clear why, but we can send/receive email on these networks now.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo