1. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

How do I edit the mx records on a freebsd

I have a domain that is hosted and I need to edit the mx records. I have the information that I need to plug in but I would like to know where the configuration file is and what do I need to restart for this to take effect.
    Evan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Start with your domain registrar, and find out the authoritative name servers for your domain. Then find out where those name servers are and what tools are available to modify DNS records for your domain. My old host had a web panel to manage DNS, kind of like GoDaddy has if they handle the DNS for a domain registered there.

Due to the nature of DNS the edited DNS record(s) will not show up in all dns servers immediately, it may take hours to days for a change to be publicly visible everywhere.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What type of DNS Server you are using on FreeBSD ??? Named(Bind) or powerDNS
  7. No Profile Picture

To update your MX records:

1.Log in (also called “domain host” or “domain provider”).

2.Under change DNS settings, enter your MX record, Make sure that you enter them exactly as they appear in the activation email, including the trailing dot at the end of each line. In general, your MX records include the following details:

<yourdomain>.s<your system number>a1.psmtp.com.

After changing your MX record, You can view the updated information on WhoisXY.com
  9. No Profile Picture

Edit MX records

Hello,

You have update the MX records in the hosting control panel where your website or server host.

Just go to hosting control panel -> DNS setting -> Edit MX records.

You have to wait for 8-12 hours for propagating the MX server.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo