1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exchange 2007 Help

I am currently running SBS 2008 with Exchange 2007, and have been doing so successfully for about a year now. Over the last week we have started to see some email issues that were easily solved with a restart. Currently though I am able to send emails internally and externally but cannot receive any emails from the outside. When I try to send an email in from my yahoo account this is the failure notice I get back."(Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)
    I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.)" Any and all help is really appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Make sure your DNS (MX, A, and PTR records are setup correctly). You can go to www.mxtoolbox.com and run a blacklist check as well as SMTP test on your mail server. It will give you some good diagnostic information to start from. Run those tests real quick and let us know what you find.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Here is results from the test. It seems apparent that the issue is with the mx records. What do i have to do to fix that? Thanks again for the help

smtp:smetana-associates.com smtp
    No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 209.62.20.200:25
    dns lookup ns lookup mx lookup whois lookup

Reported by mxtoolbox.com on Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 3:27:24 PM (GMT-5) (History)

mx:smetana-associates.com mx

No records found
    dns lookup ns lookup mx lookup whois lookup

Reported by ns94.worldnic.com on Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 3:27:07 PM (GMT-5)
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I think your public DNS records are setup correctly. When I do an MX search for your domain name I get a response mail.smetana-associates.com.

When I do a lookup of the domain name it resolves to a public IP address (the same one you listed).

The problem appears to be that there is either a firewall blocking incoming connections to port 25, NAT isn't setup properly on your router; thus SMTP traffic isn't getting forwarded to your mail server, or both. This all does assume that the public IP you listed (which is what all your records are resolving to) is in fact the public IP of your location.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo