1. DEVILS IN RED
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exchange Server Help

Hi guys,

I am completely new to Microsoft Exchange server, but would like to find out the possibilities of using it for my company.

My company has offices in multiple countries, and currently we use the email boxes provided by Godaddy to send/receive emails. What are the advantages of having an Exchange Server setup instead of this (or does it need to have an email provider along with Exchange Server). Would we need to have a server running in the office in each country. I am asking this becuase I dont even know the basics of Exchange server.

Any advice and tips on best practices would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance
    Ahmed Shefeer
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There is plenty of information on the Microsoft website, and there are many other websites devoded exclusively to exchange server stuff.

If you don't know why you'd like to run your own mail server, you're probably better off sticking with what you've got.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. DEVILS IN RED
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I dont know, but I am willing to learn. I tried to go through a lot of articles, but confusing (probably bcoz I dont know much basics).

I posted this question here because I wanted to know if it is worth learning it and implementing or not.
    Ahmed Shefeer
  7. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Regarding the basic.. it works just like every other mail where you can send or receive mails.

Doing a decision, you have to look at two things: costs and benefits.
    If what exists now takes care of all the needs, i don't see how much worth you get from changing the system.
    Especially if there are no one with enough knowledge about the Exchange system, as training or hiring an experienced person is also an extra cost.

But at same time, I am not that much experienced myself.
    In our company we use exchange only for testing integration with other system which we are selling and supporting.
    Maybe you should look for that, if there are any of the systems which can benefit from some kind of a exchange/mail integration.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo