1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Need Help using SPF Wizard

All,

I have a website hosted by a hosting company that will install an SPF record for me. However, tech support (probably in India) has been relatively unhelpful in telling me actually HOW to generate the SPF record for them to install.

Anyway, I've read up on SPF records, but all the server-side stuff like Mail Servers, MX, IP addresses, etc. confuses me quite a bit.

I've been trying to use the SPF Wizard:
    http://old.openspf.org/wizard.html

But I'm not entirely sure how to answer all the questions so that the SPF is generated correctly, so I could use some guidance.

- So let's say my registered domain is "MyWebsite.com", there is also "mail.MyWebsite.com", and both resolve to the same IP Address.

- Users of my domain will be sending email from their email addresses (user@MyWebsite.com) in several manners. Most of the time they'll use a mail client (such as Outlook) on a computer in the office. They could also use a webmail interface (www.MyWebsite.com/webmail) from any computer. And, a few users, myself included, could be sending email from their phones.

- When setting up the mail clients in the office and on phones, mail.MyWebsite.com is used as both the Incoming (POP) and Outgoing (SMTP) server.

Now for the questions:
    1) Should I try and create the SPF Record for MyWebsite.com or mail.MyWebsite.com?

2) "Do any other servers send mail from MyWebsite.com?"
    Is there a way to know this given the situation I've described? What about using webmail on a friend's computer?

3) "Could mail from MyWebsite.com originate through
    servers belonging to some other domain?"
    Again, what about using webmail?

Thanks, hopefully I've provided enough info to receive some guidance, if not I'll try and provide more as needed!
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by badaboom55
    Now for the questions:
    1) Should I try and create the SPF Record for MyWebsite.com or mail.MyWebsite.com?
    No, email will only come from the domain mywebsite.com. The SPF record is tied to the domain, not individual hosts (www) within that domain.

2) "Do any other servers send mail from MyWebsite.com?"
    Is there a way to know this given the situation I've described? What about using webmail on a friend's computer?
    But the web mail will go to your site which will do the sending for you.

3) "Could mail from MyWebsite.com originate through
    servers belonging to some other domain?"
    Again, what about using webmail?
    Same as the second question. If, for example, you sometimes sent email from your server and sometimes from Google mail then yes, it could from another server. But if your server is always the source of the email then no - it will only ever come from your server.

As a general statement your SPF record should be "v=spf1 a mx ~all" if you have a single host sending your email. There is some debate as to the tilde character but I can tell you that my domain has this SPF record (remember that it is a TXT record) and Google mail tells me that my mail passes the SPF test.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo