Thread: Mail reputation

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Mail reputation

Hello.

I'm kind of desperate...

I started to host my own mail server about a year ago, from the technical aspect everything is fine, but well
    That's not enough to get into another inbox... My e-mails are marked as spam.

I tried to get information, but that's very hard. Services like senderscore.org or senderbase.org
    don't gave me information because I'm not known, I didn't send a lot of mails using this address.
    I found a page mail-tester.com which helped me a lot. I get 10 out of 10 there so I guess everything I can configure is done correct.

I'm looking for every kind of help. I'm willed to read articles, books, I don't care - but I don't find any really good information how I can get a better reputation. Or is it common that your e-mails will end up in the spam folder if you don't use your mail server for some years and send a lot of messages?

Maybe someone with experience can help me. Providing information, information about your own experience, links to read, books, whatever. I'm thankful for everything.

Thanks in advanced.
  3. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you're hosting the server at a residential IP address, or if you're hosting it with an otherwise dynamic IP address you don't own, then that counts against the server. Because spammers can do the exact same thing.

The easiest action to take is to set up an SPF record with your domain's DNS. This identifies your mail server's IP address as being an authorized sender for your domain. A static address for the server would be best, but an IP range is allowed too.

Beyond that, spam detection varies with the emails themselves, so... make them not look spammy?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thank you for your reply.

As previously mentioned I used this website which helped me a lot. During this it also gave me a very bad rating because I haven'd had a SPF record. But by now I have it.
    It says:

* [SPF] Your server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is authorized to use xxxxxx@ xxxxxx.xxx
    * [Sender ID] Your server xxx.xxxxxx.xxx is authorized to use xxxxxx@ xxxxxx.xxx

The only two bulletpoints I don't fulfil are this, but I think they are not very important?
    * You do not have a DMARC record
    * Your reverse DNS does not match with your sending domain.

It's a real root server with multiple IP. I just use VPS on this server.
    One of this VPS is this mentioned mail server. I just use one, static IP for this e-mail server.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo