1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Need a Mail Server.... Pls Guide

hi all there....

i am very new in this domain. I want to get Mail server for my company. We r about 10 users and want to take our own company mailserver. i dont have any domain or mailserver already in my company. how i have to get started. Pls guide step by step

thanks in advance
    mkhurram92
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I will suggest that you find a reasonable mail hosting company instead of configuring your own mail server, especially if your knowledge about it is limited.

Some Mail hosting services also allow you to register a domain and have DNS service too.

If you want to have in-house server, you will have to find which mail server program you want to use, e.g. Microsoft Exchange.
    But you still need to create the domain and use an external DNS service.
  5. No Profile Picture

No i want to keep all the mail server and all mail backup within my company.
    pls guide how i can ????
  7. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

If you use Windows, take a look at the Small Business Server (SBS).
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

linux with ispconfig3 works.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  11. Contributing User

If you want something that's fairly easyish to set up and will be familiar/compatible with Outlook, check out Zimbra on a Linux platform.

Really though, MrFujin is 100% correct. Mail is very tricky in a LOT of different ways and if you don't know exactly what you are doing, you can **** things up in a big hurry and really piss people off. Despite what people say about email being dead or such crap, it's probably the single most important business service that everyone expects to be up 24/7. Here's a short, non-comprehensive, list of huge things to consider:
    • Spam - people get pissed when 95% of their email is garbage
    • Speaking of spam, don't forget about making sure that if you start blocking spam, either in house or through a 3rd party, people need access to that for false positives
    • Sending email is even more of a headache - first you need to have the pointer record for your external ip properly matching the A record as well as making sure your server HELOs with same name as said A record.
    • Make sure you are absolutely up to date at all times with tons of security/virus software on all the machines because viruses like to send lots of spam. Once that happens, your IP ends up on blacklists and you can't send anyone any email until you get it removed from all the lists you are now on.
    • Some recipients even require that you have an SPF record set up in DNS. Some go even further and want you to sign all your mail with DomainKeys or DKIM, or both.
    • Backups. Now you are responsible for making sure that all that mail is backed up very frequently. Try telling your boss that a day's worth of email was lost because a hard drive failed.

Basically, if you aren't very comfortable, or understand, all of the above, go with a hosting company. Hell, Google Apps for Domains is free for up to 50 users.
    badger badger badger badger
    MUSHROOM MUSHROOM
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would also recommend Zimbra if you are determined to keep it in house. Zimbra was the first mail server software I used. Took me two attempts to install (really messed up the first one, also remember to kill sendmail since it uses Postfix) but it was very smooth in the set up and comes with a ton of features in the free open source addition. Admin controls are great for the webmail. I used it on Fedora core 11. Zimbra can run all on one box, it uses it's own BIND for DNS services. Zimbra does recommend you have a dedicated box for their program only though.
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks all for replying on this Thread...

Ok i have installed Zimbra on CentOS... Now what is next step to do ???
    i mean from where i can get domain for my server name mail.mkhur.com ?????
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well you need to first puchase your domain from a registrar (like GoDaddy). The mail server is actually a host, so you don't puchase "mail.mkhur.com" just "mkhur.com". Whether you have your own DNS server or you plan on using your registrars will depend on where you add the MX record for your domain. I would suggest to implement SPF as well.
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by mkhurram92
    Thanks all for replying on this Thread...

Ok i have installed Zimbra on CentOS... Now what is next step to do ???
    i mean from where i can get domain for my server name mail.mkhur.com ?????
    One more time. If you know this little about what you are doing, use a provider. Based on this question, there is a very high probability of this ending very badly.
    MUSHROOM MUSHROOM
  21. No Profile Picture

Thanks once again all for ur replies.
    Dear i know all about EMail Servers(Zimbra, Exchange, SendMail) and other like this but i dont have any idea about how i can use it for sending mails outside of my company....
    i use it as sending mails within company.

Ok dear CaptPikel i will just purchase mkhur.com and not mail.mkhur.com ?
    ok they will also give me an IP with this domain ???
    and i just have to add one host record(mail) in my DNS server for start working of Mail ???Server ???
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

They will give you an IP if you host with them. If you are running it internal, the IP to your mail server will either be the IP the server has itself (if it is directly connected to the internet) or the IP to your firewall/router (you would need port forwarding setup if the server is not directly connected to the internet (http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Ports)). So depending on your ISP, you will get the IP address from them.

I would HIGHLY recommend to get a static IP from your ISP. Along with that, you should request them add a PTR record. You probably want the PTR to be mail.mkhur.com. Only the ISP can set you up a PTR record for reverse lookups since they own the IP address.

As for the MX record, it depends on what DNS server your domain will use. If you wish to use the registrars DNS server, just add an MX record with them. The IP again depends on what you get from the ISP. And of course in an internal DNS, just add the MX record there. And yes, if you ave one server you probably only need one MX record.

Your domains DNS server needs to be a server other than the Zimbra server itself. Zimbra needs to run BIND on it's own. It is possible to use the BIND for DNS in Zimbra as the domains DNS, but it can get complicated especially if you are using PAT or NAT. Most registrars will offer DNS records for free or again you can use your own if your company already has a DNS server.
  25. No Profile Picture

Thanks alot for this explaination dear CaptPikal.... !!!!
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by MrFujin
    If you use Windows, take a look at the Small Business Server (SBS).

i have similarly difficulty. we have a sbs 2003 version, what should be the next step after installing sbs?

thanx

Comments on this post

• MrFujin disagrees : You should create you own post. hint: google and this thread is your friend

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo