1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mail Server on Road Runner

Has anyone successfully setup a mail server (pop3 & smtp) with a cable modem through Road Runner?

If so, please share how you did it and what software you are using.

I've done a little research and I know RR blocks the SMTP port, but there has to be a way around this.
  3. No Profile Picture

Code:
    (although I'm having difficulty at present time receiving mail with IIS SMTP) 
    should now be completely ignored.  I've managed to successfully send and 
    receive email through Microsoft's SMTP Virtual Server on the 
    Windows XP Professional (SP1) OS.

Originally Posted by mattmcb
    Has anyone successfully setup a mail server (pop3 & smtp) with a cable modem through Road Runner?

If so, please share how you did it and what software you are using.

I've done a little research and I know RR blocks the SMTP port, but there has to be a way around this.

I've successfully set up SMTP using RR. I use IIS on XPPro SP1 with MS SMTP Server for incoming mail (although I'm having difficulty at present time receiving mail with IIS SMTP). I know for a fact that under Windows 2K Pro I was able to receive mail without a problem.

For sending email on Port 25, I use ColdFusion MX 6.1 Server. The only thing you'll need to do in order to send email with CFusionMX is call RR and ask for their SMTP Server address. For example, I called RR and they gave me two addresses:

(incoming):
    pop-server.cfl.rr.com

(outgoing):
    smtp-server.cfl.rr.com

The outgoing address works perfectly and as long as you're not a spammer RR will not give you any grief. Good luck and if you have any other questions, let me know!

Regards,

Matt

[Note: You won't be able to use these addresses unless you live in Orlando, FL and have an account with RR down here. When you call RR I'm guessing they'll give you an address that looks something like "SMTP-server.***.rr.com"]
  5. No Profile Picture

Matt,
    I hope you can help me, you seem very knowledgeable and I am at the opposite end of the scale. I am trying to get a mail program up and running (Thunderbird) and I am not putting the correct info that they are requesting. I am using road runner in Orlando and my regular email service is myway.com. Is road runner the SMTP address they are looking for? I have been trying to get mail address for myway, but unsuccesfully. Is there a site that list addresses?
    I have found one address on the net and it is ttp://mail.myway.com. Is that a pop or IMAP address? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tracy

Originally Posted by CompJock
    I've successfully set up SMTP using RR. I use IIS on XPPro SP1 with MS SMTP Server for incoming mail (although I'm having difficulty at present time receiving mail with IIS SMTP). I know for a fact that under Windows 2K Pro I was able to receive mail without a problem.

For sending email on Port 25, I use ColdFusion MX 6.1 Server. The only thing you'll need to do in order to send email with CFusionMX is call RR and ask for their SMTP Server address. For example, I called RR and they gave me two addresses:

(incoming):
    pop-server.cfl.rr.com

(outgoing):
    smtp-server.cfl.rr.com

The outgoing address works perfectly and as long as you're not a spammer RR will not give you any grief. Good luck and if you have any other questions, let me know!

Regards,

Matt

[Note: You won't be able to use these addresses unless you live in Orlando, FL and have an account with RR down here. When you call RR I'm guessing they'll give you an address that looks something like "SMTP-server.***.rr.com"]
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by tttstarr
    Matt,
    I hope you can help me, you seem very knowledgeable and I am at the opposite end of the scale. I am trying to get a mail program up and running (Thunderbird) and I am not putting the correct info that they are requesting. I am using road runner in Orlando and my regular email service is myway.com. Is road runner the SMTP address they are looking for? I have been trying to get mail address for myway, but unsuccesfully. Is there a site that list addresses?
    I have found one address on the net and it is ttp://mail.myway.com. Is that a pop or IMAP address? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tracy

Tracy,

I emailed myway.com the other day and basically there is currently no way you will be able to check your myway.com email unless you do so from the myway.com website. Here's what I wrote:

Code:
    Hi,

I was curious as to whether or not your server will allow third party 
    mail clients (such as Mozilla's Thunderbird mail client) to send and receive 
    email via your SMTP and POP3 server addresses.  If this is possible, may I 
    have those addresses?  Finally, if you are unable to submit this information 
    in response to my request, can you provide me with the proper phone number I 
    should call to obtain these addresses?  Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Matt

And they responded:

Code:
    Hello:

Thank you for writing to My Way.

At this time we do not offer POP 3 or wireless access to My Way Email.  
    Therefore, you may only access your My Way Email using your Web browser.  
    We plan to offer "POP" access in the future for a fee, and when we do, 
    we will surely place notice of it on the site.

Thanks again for writing.

Regards,
    E.M.
    My Way Customer Service

This was a response to the 12/01/04 4:36:32 AM message we received from xxxxx

Here's what I suggest you do:

Copy the exact same message I wrote to My Way and just send it to some of the more popular free email sites on the web. This will save you the hassle of browsing through all of the various email sites' FAQs and stuff like that.

Let me know if you still have any questions...I'll see what I can do.

Matt
  9. No Profile Picture

Thunderbird/Myway

Matt, thanks so much for you help and reply. I was wondering, are they saying that they will not allow you to check incoming mail, or both incoming and outgoing? I ask because I already use them through Thunderbird and RoadRunner for outgoing. That being the case I wonder if I can use RoadRunnder for the incomming. I have Roadrunner's address and password I just haven't tried it yet.

Originally Posted by CompJock
    Tracy,

I emailed myway.com the other day and basically there is currently no way you will be able to check your myway.com email unless you do so from the myway.com website. Here's what I wrote:

Code:
    Hi,

I was curious as to whether or not your server will allow third party 
    mail clients (such as Mozilla's Thunderbird mail client) to send and receive 
    email via your SMTP and POP3 server addresses.  If this is possible, may I 
    have those addresses?  Finally, if you are unable to submit this information 
    in response to my request, can you provide me with the proper phone number I 
    should call to obtain these addresses?  Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Matt

And they responded:

Code:
    Hello:

Thank you for writing to My Way.

At this time we do not offer POP 3 or wireless access to My Way Email.  
    Therefore, you may only access your My Way Email using your Web browser.  
    We plan to offer "POP" access in the future for a fee, and when we do, 
    we will surely place notice of it on the site.

Thanks again for writing.

Regards,
    E.M.
    My Way Customer Service

This was a response to the 12/01/04 4:36:32 AM message we received from xxxxx

Here's what I suggest you do:

Copy the exact same message I wrote to My Way and just send it to some of the more popular free email sites on the web. This will save you the hassle of browsing through all of the various email sites' FAQs and stuff like that.

Let me know if you still have any questions...I'll see what I can do.

Matt

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo