1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Mail server spam list and prevention

I'm just getting into mail server config, and all of our emails were being sent to Spam in Gmail, and I discovered from Rackspace that their servers are flagged as such. I'm sure this isn't uncommon in the server realm, but they suggested a relay such as Mailgun to get around that.

Because I don't know much about this stuff, I'm just going to ask a dumb question:

When Google or another mail host detects a ton of spams are coming from a certain IP or server, does it notify the server that this is occurring and which domains or email addresses are flagging their checkers? I'd think that would help the servers crack down on the spam accounts prevent every new IP they use from getting flagged.

It's more of a "how do they prevent every IP from being blocked as a spammer" question.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

When Google or another mail host detects a ton of spams are coming from a certain IP or server, does it notify the server that this is occurring and which domains or email addresses are flagging their checkers?
    No, they wouldn't notify you, they would just block it. Tracking down the owner of the server and figuring out how to contact them would cost the mail host a lot of money. It's the responsibility of the person running the mail server to make sure they're not sending out spam in the first place.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by dhinged
    I'm just getting into mail server config, and all of our emails were being sent to Spam in Gmail, and I discovered from Rackspace that their servers are flagged as such. I'm sure this isn't uncommon in the server realm, but they suggested a relay such as Mailgun to get around that.

Because I don't know much about this stuff, I'm just going to ask a dumb question:

When Google or another mail host detects a ton of spams are coming from a certain IP or server, does it notify the server that this is occurring and which domains or email addresses are flagging their checkers? I'd think that would help the servers crack down on the spam accounts prevent every new IP they use from getting flagged.

It's more of a "how do they prevent every IP from being blocked as a spammer" question.
    ESP's (Email Service Providers) are under no obligation to disclose their own spam policies. The reason is that to do so would allow the spammers to get around those policies. However. the big 3 (Gmail, Yahoo, & Hotmail) & others have implemented DMARC. The major advantage of DMARC over previous attempts to control spam (eg. SPF) is that it allows you to receive feedback reports. They can be extremely useful in tracking down problems.

J.A. Coutts

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Originally Posted by dhinged

No they do not notify you at all. This is why most the server not able to track whether your mail has been checked or not (unless you have any paid feature). The best solution is to change the Email Address. Or checkers needs to manually remove the spam label (in Gmail).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo