1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Marketing Mail Server with openemm

We are tired to working with Constant Contact for handling our email campaigns. We decided to setup our own mail server for our email campaigns. This will not be used for users, but for bulk mailing to our customers.
    I have some questions on setting this up. This is what I have done.
    - Installed windows server
    - setup smtp in IIS
    - tested sending emails from telnet (works perfectly)
    - setup openemm as our email marketing software (works with a few test recipients)
    Currently the server is not web accessible. We are working on getting another ip address just for the web server.
    Does it matter what web domain name I give to the server? I plan on using an email address Fake-Email @ domain1.com in openemm as the sender but have the email server web accessible using domain2.com. Does that matter?

I do not want to receive mail, only to send mail.
    we choose this way to not interferer with our current email setup using mail.domain1.com
    This is a good way to set it up? Is there a better way? Are we going to have problems with spam filters?

Would it be better to create a subdomain from our domain1.com like mail2.domain1.com instead of giving it its own domain name?
    Also do I need to setup any mx records?

As you can tell I am new and kind of lost from here.
    We plan on sending out over 80,000 emails a month

Please advise

Thanks
  3. Contributing User

Let me tell you a few things here since I work as a postmaster for a national ISP.
    • All your recipients had better be opt-in only.
    • Make sure that you have a valid reply-to address in the mailings you are sending out.
    • Coupled with the above 2 items, process all bounces to remove failed addresses from the list. Very important.
    • Make sure you have unsubscribe links in every email you send out.

Bad mailing lists end up on our blacklists almost daily. Beyond those things, here are another few things you will want to do regarding setting up a mail server to send:
    • Have a PTR record for the IP of your mail server that matches the A record for that mail server (basically, mail.example.com).
    • Make sure your mail server HELOs as the same hostname as your A/PTR record (using the example in the previous item, mail.example.com).
    • You will probably want to set up an SPF record in DNS for better deliverability.
    • You might want to consider signing your messages with DomainKeys/DKIM as well.
    • Make sure nothing else on your network can relay mail via this mail server. The last thing you want is some user's computer getting a virus and blasting out a few million spam messages through your mailing list server.

Setting up a mail server to send outbound is not an easy or trivial task. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to maximize your deliverability and maintain it.

I really hope these are opt-in lists, since purchased lists are easy to spot and, personally, I would blacklist you in a second if I thought that's what it was.
    badger badger badger badger
    badger badger badger badger
    MUSHROOM MUSHROOM
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks

Originally Posted by crustymonkey
    Let me tell you a few things here since I work as a postmaster for a national ISP.
    • All your recipients had better be opt-in only.
    • Make sure that you have a valid reply-to address in the mailings you are sending out.
    • Coupled with the above 2 items, process all bounces to remove failed addresses from the list. Very important.
    • Make sure you have unsubscribe links in every email you send out.

Bad mailing lists end up on our blacklists almost daily. Beyond those things, here are another few things you will want to do regarding setting up a mail server to send:
    • Have a PTR record for the IP of your mail server that matches the A record for that mail server (basically, mail.example.com).
    • Make sure your mail server HELOs as the same hostname as your A/PTR record (using the example in the previous item, mail.example.com).
    • You will probably want to set up an SPF record in DNS for better deliverability.
    • You might want to consider signing your messages with DomainKeys/DKIM as well.
    • Make sure nothing else on your network can relay mail via this mail server. The last thing you want is some user's computer getting a virus and blasting out a few million spam messages through your mailing list server.

Setting up a mail server to send outbound is not an easy or trivial task. There are a lot of hoops to jump through to maximize your deliverability and maintain it.

I really hope these are opt-in lists, since purchased lists are easy to spot and, personally, I would blacklist you in a second if I thought that's what it was.
    Thanks for the information, I am going to start on the list of items you mentioned. I'll post back if I have any questions.

BTW, Our list are all opt-in that we have collected.

Thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo