1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

MX Record, A Record Confusion

I'm in real need of help and hope someone can help, as everything I've tried hasn't worked . I'm pretty new at this, so I might need a little extra explaining.

Here's the deal:

My website is hosted with JustHost. I need to be able to have the online software I have created (which is hosted on a different server and URL), be able to send from the mail server of my website.

My developers had me set an A record to point to the hosted software server, which works fine. However, I can no longer send emails from the website mail server using Outlook.

Can anyone tell me how I can set up the MX or A records so emails can both be sent from my hosted software and my Outlook from my website mail server at the same time?

Thanks!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Assuming there was an existing mail server at your host, you should not have needed to make any changes to any DNS records to have your application send from the hosted smtp server.

You'd just have your application use smtp, tell it the url of the mail server, and send.

If you changed A or MX records in your DNS, or if you changed any settings in any other email programs like outlook, review those changes, and my recommendation is to put them back the way they were, then make your app work with the existing smtp.

Issues you may run across: The isp connection where your app is running may block the use of external smtp servers. You may have some firewall blocking smtp on your app computer or the server.

[
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Your hosted software should not need any DNS information to send email unless it is not using the local host.

I would try using the IP address of the server where your email is hosted. See if that works. If it does, then your MX and mail record should point to that server.

As your hosted software vendor how emails are sent. Are they sent using the local host or do they need an SMTP server.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the help.

We got it figured out. My web host company controls all the DNS settings, and had them hosed up pretty bad. Got them all fixed and it works like a charm!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo