1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Noob Spam Assassin setup using cpanel

Hi All,

I have just used cpanel to setup spam assassin with my host provider. I have googled 'til the cows come home but have found it hard to find understandable help on setting up and configuring spam assassin.

I have spam assassin setup to send spam to a spam box. It filtered 4 emails and gave them a score but all spam is since getting through.

My goal is to be able to have the following folders setup:
    * learn_spam
    * learn_ham
    * possible_spam

Really spammy messages (high scoring) get sent to the 'learn_spam' folder, and suspect spam (moderate scoring) gets sent to 'possible_spam' folder

Then I'd like to be able to setup a cron job that runs each day at midnight to train off the learn_spam folder and delete the emails after training, and the same with the learn_ham folder.

I would be able to go through the possible_spam and move it to either learn_spam or learn_ham folders.

Is this possible to setup through cpanel or am I going to need to wrangle some scripts to do it?

Forgive me if this post is in the wrong area, but this forum seemed the most appropriate place to put this question.

Brad.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have the same problem. I don't want to hijack your thread but I thought a bump would do both of us good.

SA help shows me options that are nowhere to be found in spam assassin itself. Blacklist not working in my version of cpanel is a known problem. I can engage spam assassin but there are no indicators as to what it will filter out. I don't want to loose useful mail in the process.

My version is CPanel VPS Optimized version 3. I am on win7 pro. Any advice would be welcome.

Any help welcome.
    Cheers
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am on a shared server plan. I found I had to tweak some of the settings for certain spam categories upwards and lower the number of hits before a message is considered spam. It is fairly aggressive so I still have to go in and check the spam folder every now and then.

I think the reason I cannot do what I wanted in my first post was because I am on a shared plan and my host doesn't allow config on spam assassin like that.

Still yet to find a really good method of dealing with spam. Interested to know what spam workflows people are using today.

Brad

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo