1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Outgoing mail (SMTP) issues while traveling - MS Exchange

Here is my, very frustrating, issue. I travel for business numerous times per year. At least 90% of the time I have trouble "sending" email from my Outlook account (can receive just fine). About 60% of the time I can go to my outgoing mail server (SMTP) setting in outlook and check, or uncheck, the "My outgoing mail server (SMTP) requires authentication". Checking or unchecking allows me to send from the hotel / place I am staying. Unfortunately, the other 40% of the time I cannot send email from my own laptop, instead have to use webmail or remote into my desktop. Still other times I am able to send emails, then I get an instant response from Outlook saying "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for ..", even though (confirmed) the recipient did in fact get the email (again, very frustrating as I don't know what has actually been delivered or not.

Long story short, I believe that their is a protocol we can implement that will allow me (my email address) to sync with our office exchange server, located in Gainesville, Florida, verify who I am, and allow me to send emails. Prior to have Windows and Exchange server in our office, we had a Linux wizard who set this feature up. It worked great. No matter where in the world I was, I would simply send one test email to myself. The server would verify who I was, and then allow me, from my laptop, to send emails using our office mail server. I am hoping someone can tell me how to have our IT department set up a feature like this, or a work around, that will work 100% of the time for our Microsoft Exchange server.

As an FYI, though I am limited on mail server issues, as well as general IT issues, I do understand the difference between open relays and closed relays. Obviously whatever we do needs to be closed so we are not hacked into and used to send spam.

Any help / suggestions you can give would be very, very much appreciated (I am currently 1/2 way around the world and ready to go off the deep end as I can't easily (write, then send) emails.

Thanks in advance,

John Farrell
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

My take is you want your IT dept to set up a VPN for you, with a VPN client that runs from any internet connection.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo