1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Qmail web mail file attchment size limit

Hello anyone,

We have a qmail setup with vpopmail and vqadmin also setup and we need to have the file attachment size limited raised to 15MB. From google-ing I found out that the /var/qmail/control/databytes is suppose to control this but after changing this and restarting /etc/init.d/qmail-smtp and /etc/init.d/qmail-send this did not working. I was told that vqadmin had a quota setting that controls the file attachment size cumulative with the email space for a particular user but after viewing that it was set to 100M. The user only has about 58M used up in her mail directory and she's trying to sent a 15MB size file. From what I'm concluding she should have more than enough space to send these file size attachments. To give some clarity, I'm am completely new to qmail and barely know enough about Linux email systems to understand the basics. No one on my team knows this setup or qmail since we adopted it from a recent buy out of another company. The issue is that their a customer complaining and we don't have time to figure this out slowing so any speedy advise would be appreciated tremendously. If there is anymore info you need please let me know. I'm also new to Dev Shed as well.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You mention web mail in your post title. If you're using a web mail client perhaps the limitation is in the web server, not qmail. For example, php has settings that limit the size of posted data.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi
  5. No Profile Picture

Qmail web mail file attchment size limit

Originally Posted by Doug G
    You mention web mail in your post title. If you're using a web mail client perhaps the limitation is in the web server, not qmail. For example, php has settings that limit the size of posted data.
    Thanks Doug for the lead but I checked for a php.ini file, which is suppose to have a post_max_size, upload_max_filesize and memory_limit settigns and nothing. I also checked for squirrelmail and it does not seem to be installed. also checked for a php setting in the apache config files but nothing. i had run into this link that i thought was going to my answer but apparently whoever set this server up was not using standard configurations and possibly something very custom and alternate choices.

http : // squirrelmail.org/wiki/AttachmentSize

If anyone wants to give this a stab I'm still waiting for more suggestions.
  7. No Profile Picture

Unhappy

Found out from one of the few old admins that knows qmail/sqwebmail that for web mail users you cannot changed the file attachment size. You can only change it for client user's (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) by changing the databytes file. Although this is a global change and so will be for all users. If this is incorrect please let me know.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo