1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

(reason: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1))

when i send mail, it gets returned with this message:
    (reason: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1))

my mail worked fine for about 3 days, messed with no settings and suddenly now i am getting this message...

i have searched yahoo and it seems the answer is
    'Check that you're using SMTP authentification in your mail client.'

i am using mozilla thunderbird and cant find anywhere where to check if i have this enabled/disabled... anyone know? i am also using cox as an ISP (if this could help to find the problem)..

I don't understand how it could work one day and not the next if nothing was changed! :X
  3. No Profile Picture
    Principal Goatkeeper
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

this probably means that the server of the recipient is refusing to accept the message from the mail server for your account. Perhaps your mail account domain, or the IP of some machine, has got into a blacklist, maybe some other cox customer has been spamming ?. this would explain why you changed nothing but it stopped working. Ive had this sometimes when trying to use one of my accounts from a different machine thats using a different isp to the one running the mail server.

so what can you do ?
    find the server sending your mail - from yr mail client settings - like smtp.cox.net (as a guess, im assuming cox is a big ISP someplace, that name doesnt exist...)

find its IP either by looking in hdrs of some mail you send yourself, in a Received header

say that IP is w.x.y.z, try this at a dos prompt:
    ping z.y.x.w.bl.spamcop.net
    (note reversed ip address)
    if this seems to connect, the server is on the spamcop RBL list

if not, maybe its some other problem. talk to cox !

good luck

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo