1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to receive ALL emails?

Hello,

Does anyone know how to receive all emails sent to a domain?

Not only the usual catch-all functionality on the main domain, but also catch-all on all possible wildcard-subdomains?

*@domain.tld

+

*@*.domain.tld
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The first step is having DNS set up for the subdomains, but I kinda figure you have that done already.

Your mail server needs to be set up to handle the subdomains too.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    The first step is having DNS set up for the subdomains, but I kinda figure you have that done already.

Your mail server needs to be set up to handle the subdomains too.
    But the point is that I do not know what sub domains are.

They can be anything thats possible to write, that's why I use wildcards.

So the question is if this is possible at all? I guess I have to use MX wildcards in DNS, and that the emailserver have to have a certain setup.
  7. Did you steal it?

If there aren't any MX records for a domain then a sending server will use the regular A record for it. So for DNS all you need is to configure the subdomains. By using a wildcard.

The mail server is the one that needs extra configuration.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the answers requinix

If there aren't any MX records for a domain then a sending server will use the regular A record for it. So for DNS all you need is to configure the subdomains. By using a wildcard.
    So the only thing I need to do in the DNS is to set up a wildcard entry to the right email server?

The mail server is the one that needs extra configuration.
    Do you know anything about this extra configuration? Or know about a host where this is possible? I do not have a own email server.
  11. Did you steal it?

Set the wildcard entry to the web server.

I see two options for you:
    1. Run a mail server alongside the web server. They're not hard to set up, but for anything beyond simple, personal use you'll want to get precise instructions from someone knowledgeable. Or even hire somebody to set it up for you.

2. Run a mail server alongside the web server. Okay, you can't really get around that. But you can have it configured to relay email someplace else (ie, to the actual mail server). The difference is that this one would not hold the email - it would simply forward it off to the real location.

Exact instructions vary for making the mail server handle domains, but the Internet is a good place to look. However the first step is actually getting the server.
    How is your website hosted? Shared or dedicated? Do you have root access to the machine?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo