January 15th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Sendmail not sending mail - stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]
I am currently having an issue with sendmail that I need assistance solving.
Running Solaris 10
I do not have the sendmail daemon running as I only wish to send email out from this server.
Previously I was able to send email from this server to other users at other domains on other machines. I was also able to send to other users on this same machine.
Now when I or one of my scripts attempt to send an email the following error shows up in a log file.
Jan 15 09:05:08 SOME.DOMAIN.COM sendmail: [ID 801593 mail.info] o0FE58Sn002182: from=USER, size=104, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<201001151405.o0FE58Sn002182@SOME.DOMAIN.COM>, relay=root@localhost
Jan 15 09:05:08 SOME.DOMAIN.COM sendmail: [ID 801593 mail.info] o0FE58Sn002182: to=USER, ctladdr=USER (100/10), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay,
pri=30104, relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]
I have not made any modifications to the sendmail files prior to this problem occuring so I don't know what has happened.
At some point between it working and not working the server was moved and the DNS was adjusted accordingly. ( FYI: I am not running DNS on this server.) After the move I believe that mail was still working so once again not sure what is going on.
As I said before it was working now its not working and I need assistance getting it working again.
If someone would be so kind to step me through this I would be grateful. After spending hours looking at post that led me no where I AM TIRED OF BANGING MY HEAD and getting no where.
I look forward to getting this resolved so I can move on to more fun stuff like having a wisdom tooth removed.
January 15th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Have you rebooted the server since the problem began? Have you also compared logs from when it was working vs about the time it stopped?
(Approx when did it stop working?... Had any updates been installed?)
January 15th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Yes, have rebooted.
No was unable to compare logs.
Not sure when it stopped working.
No updates installed.
Could this be caused by a DNS problem? If so how can I check/verify?
As I mentioned before they did some housecleaning with their DNS as well as moved the machine from one rack to another.
Also is there anyway to get more verbose output to what is really going on?
If I were to start over with all those sendmail config files where should I start? Remember I am only interested in sending out email and do not want sendmail running as a daemon.
Thanks again hiker and I hope things are warming up for you down there in the sunshine state.
January 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I think I fixed it
I was banging my head on the desk when I should have been banging it on the wall.
Anyway I think I have it working so I thought I would post my solution.
1. cp sendmail.cf to submit.cf
This of course created other problems so I did the following.
2. Edit the following in the submit.cf file.
QueueDirectory=YOUR INFO HERE
StatusFile=YOUR INFO HERE
PidFile=YOUR INFO HERE
3. Checked permissions.
4. Edit the RunAsUser entry in submit.cf file.
5. Test, Test, Test!!!!
I am still interested in hearing more from others.
And remember when all else fails BangHeadHarder ; )
Comments on this post
January 15th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for posting back your solution!
As for one of your questions earlier regarding more verbose output.. You should be able to change the log level setting in sendmail.cf (Which you may want to go ahead and adjust to make sure everything is fine... after verification of it working properly, change the log level back to something lower)
In response to another of your questions, where to start if you were to start over.... I would uninstall sendmail and start from the beginning.. re-download (in case there is a newer version) and reinstall.