1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Setting up mail server with local domain and to recieve emails from internet

dear all,

am new to mail server setup, i have a local domain name abc.com and its not hosted on any public servers, i have made a small network and use this domain for communication. I have static ip address and have successfully used natting.

public ip ------> my local ip
    203.*.*.*-----> 10.10.1.19

i have done port forwarding in my router and allowed port 80, 25, 110 to connect to port 80, 25, 110 of my email. The ports in my system are open and listening.

For MX records, i have entered following entries in my DNS server: Host A, MX entry and PTR

mail.abc.com 10.10.1.19
    10.10.1.19 mail.abc.com (reverse dns)

i can send and receive email on my network locally but i cant send or receive emails from internet.

In my opinion i think , i should also enter DNS settings for my public ip in DNS server, but i cant enter it as when i try to do the following:

203.*.*.*--------> mail.abc.com (it gives error that entry is already there)

The problem only lies in setting up DNS entry but i cant enter it or dont know what i should do.

Please if any one can help on this. Also please be a bit easy to understand as i am new and dont know much but i would love to learn...have search alot but couldnt get my answer any where.

thanks

i have successfully
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You need a global DNS record that points to your external IP. Essentially, the record in bind would be:
    Code:
    abc.com. IN MX 100 mail.abc.com.
    It really depends on who you are using for a dns host for abc.com globally in terms of how to specifically set it up.
    badger badger badger badger
    badger badger badger badger
    MUSHROOM MUSHROOM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo