1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Sme mail server dns send and recieve but not accept ping command why

I have sme mail server 7.5 in server only mode have internet
    it send and receive emails by outlook
    this external ip that written in dns in server configuration not accept ping command from inside company or outside company although it send and receive email from outside as yahoo , Hotmail
    how this happen
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ahmedsa
    I have sme mail server 7.5 in server only mode have internet
    it send and receive emails by outlook
    this external ip that written in dns in server configuration not accept ping command from inside company or outside company although it send and receive email from outside as yahoo , Hotmail
    how this happen
    If i understand you the only problem is that your server does not reply ping commands, then check your firewall setting. Seems your server's firewall blocks icmp packets.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Most routers do not support loopback. If you are attempting to ping the external public address from the local network behind the router, it will not work. You must use the private address. One way around that is to put the private address in the HOSTS file, which will over ride the public address supplied by the DNS.

J.A. Coutts

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Originally Posted by couttsj
    Most routers do not support loopback. If you are attempting to ping the external public address from the local network behind the router, it will not work. You must use the private address. One way around that is to put the private address in the HOSTS file, which will over ride the public address supplied by the DNS.

J.A. Coutts
    I think this might be the problem. But is their any other alternatives for getting ping from public address.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo