1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Post What software I need to send mails

Hi Forum

I'm newbie in the mail servers field, and I have some questions about.

1) If for example I want to create my own mail server, I know that I need to install a Linux server + Apache + Database + PHP.
    However I don't know how can I send messages from my server to other servers, for example, yahoo, gmail, etc.
    What app I need to use to send mails to other servers?

2) What other software I need to establish my own mail server?

thank you guys
  3. Maddening Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

1. You need an MTA - mail transfer agent. It will handle communicating with the other servers. However you'll probably find that most of them will reject your emails based on spam filtering: they don't like people sending email to their servers from residential or cheap IP addresses. If that's the case then you may be able to set up your MTA to route emails through another service, such as Gmail.
    2. The MTA is the only thing you actually need. If you simply want other stuff then that's another question.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi requinix
    Thanks for your prompt answer

Originally Posted by requinix
    ... However you'll probably find that most of them will reject your emails based on spam filtering: they don't like people sending email to their servers from residential or cheap IP addresses.
    If for example I'm creating a new web mail services, what have I to do to avoid that the other servers (like gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc) filter the mails of my server, without to re-route the MTA and modify the MX configuration, pointing to another service, i.e, what do i need for my ip address to be included in the other server's records? I know that I have to buy a domain, but is enough with this? or I have to pay in some other place for this?

Thank you very much
  7. Maddening Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Google has guidelines you should follow, first and foremost. Spamhaus provides a popular blacklist service so you should make sure you're not on their list.

But my use of "probably" may have been exaggerated. Get email accounts on the popular services and see what happens if you try to email them. If you have problems then you can worry about how to fix them.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi requinix

That was just what I wanted.

Thank you very much.
    Have a nice day

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo