1. ID10T
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Trying to retrieve emails from hosting provider

Hello,

For years I have been using a shared hosting plan to run my email and other stuff.

Now im moving to a dedicated host with another provider and want to extract 4 years of emails form the shared hosting plan, all sorted into folders.

I opened a ticket with my shared hosting provider and asked what the best way would be to do this.

They said connect to the mail account with Outlook and then you can download everything.

I tried this with Thunderbird and while I can save individual emails there's "download everything" that I was hoping for.

As I understand the emails are just files stored in folders so I replied and asked them to just Zip the whole lot and put it in my shared account from where I could download it.

The reply was "Unfortunately its not possible to "zip up" the content of the emails because the format used on the server is not the same used by Outlook for example."

I think this is a good time ot actually ask people who know about the subject.

Basically I want my emails on my pc where I can browse them in future and maybe it would be nice if possible to upload everything to my new dedicated server.

Is this possible and how would you go about it?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'm not sure about Thunderbird, but in Outlook all you have to do is the following:

File>Import & Export>Export to a file>Export to a .pst file (your file type may be different, not sure what T-bird uses). From there you select the mail folders in Outlook/T-bird that you want to export.

I would assume the steps would be similar for Thunderbird.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You must be using an IMAP server, a POP server will normally copy all messages to your local machine in your email client.

I just drag & drop messages from IMAP folders to a local folder in Thunderbird which copies them from the IMAP server to my local machine.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo