1. No Profile Picture
    Super Moderator
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Ubuntu 18.04 Failing Initial Basic SMTP Install

Well, I started setting Postfix up for SMTP followed by Dovecot for IMAP and POP3, but noticed it didn't work. I've been running servers for roughly 20 years, so I'm a bit lost.

Just to test, I've installed a bare OS, and set up a basic SMTP to run the initial test locally. Even that fails, via telnet, it appears to submit to queue fine, but never arrives where it should. I've referenced multiple sites in this, and am wondering if I'm just missing something for a bare minimal/initial test. To reference my bare test, the link below is what I am using. It defines simply an install, followed by an e-mail to a local account. The mailbox remains empty. Any suggestions?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Po...asicSetupHowto

Other references:
    https://www.linux.com/learn/how-buil...r-ubuntu-Linux
    https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...n-ubuntu-18-04
    Postfix Virtual Domain Hosting Howto

In the end, it is intended for non-user accounts/addresses, but I am using true local accounts just to get this started in the first place.
    Only once have I gotten mail to arrive to an account which was defined to accept root@localhost as well as postmaster@localhost messages. The letter was defined to go to username@localhost, but was returned to the postmaster or such and not to the user.
    He who knows not that he knows not is a fool, ignore him. He who knows that he knows not is ignorant, teach him. He who knows not that he knows is asleep, awaken him. He who knows that he knows is a leader, follow him.
  3. Headless Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

So you know it goes into the queue. Is the queue being processed? The mail logs should definitely have more information about this, even if the information is that nothing happened.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Super Moderator

It defines the below, which initially appears fine, but I'm unsure if the 2nd comment is a true delete of the message, or something in relation to the initial query.

postfix/local[####]: … to=<user@localhost>, relay=local, delay=54, ……... status=sent (delivered to mailbox)
    postfix/qmgr[####]: … removed

When checking an inbox, with this attempt, the message does not exist in the intended box, nor the postmaster's.
    He who knows not that he knows not is a fool, ignore him. He who knows that he knows not is ignorant, teach him. He who knows not that he knows is asleep, awaken him. He who knows that he knows is a leader, follow him.
  7. Headless Moderator

Sure seems like it was delivered. How are your mailboxes set up? Have you tried searching (eg, grep -r) for the message somewhere under /var?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Super Moderator

They all seem to be listed within /var/mail/(username)
  11. No Profile Picture
    Super Moderator

I've also noticed a handful hanging in /var/spool/mail/(username)

Any reason in mind why the ones in /var/mail/(username) wouldn't appear or be recognized when 'mail' is called?
  13. Headless Moderator

How about
    Code:
    mail -f
    or
    Code:
    sudo mail -u username
  15. No Profile Picture
    Super Moderator

:-/ I love these annoying instances. I refreshed/restarted yet again. Installed fresh as usual, so it feels, but it all works as it originally should have. I despise these instances due to not figuring out what the issue was, even though it does end up successful in the end... ^_^

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo