1. cave painting, the 1st Opn Src
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Question Rotate My Email Log

My ROOT email file is getting pretty big. Is it as simple as renaming my Root file to a .BAK? or, is there a script to rotate my Mail log files out when they get to a certain size?

Also, I am thinking of going to Qmail from sendmail so that I can have an email server, with IMAP and web access. Has anyone done this? is the transition easy? can I keep my sendmail?

Thanks,

Frog
  3. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

My ROOT email file is getting pretty big.
    Your mail spool...
    Is it as simple as renaming my Root file to a .BAK? or, is there a script to rotate my Mail log files out when they get to a certain size?
    ...or your mail server log files?

qmail supports the maildir format which stores each message in its own file, rather than all in one enormous file. Regardless, you should be using an MUA to delete your unwanted messages. This will keep your spool file size down (assuming you're talking about your spool file and not your log file).
    Also, I am thinking of going to Qmail from sendmail so that I can have an email server, with IMAP and web access. Has anyone done this?
    Yes
    is the transition easy?
    Depends how many users you have, and how many features you have enabled in sendmail at the moment that you rely upon. But it's not too difficult.
    can I keep my sendmail?
    No - you won't need to.
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)
  5. cave painting, the 1st Opn Src

TY Alex

As always Your answer was in depth. { I wonder when U sleep ... }

Yes, I ment my Mail Spool, and I am seriously looking at the qmail installation.

Thanks,

Frog
  7. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

As always Your answer was in depth. { I wonder when U sleep ... }
    Late
    Yes, I ment my Mail Spool
    It's probably best to use your MUA (pine, mutt) or POP3 to delete unwanted messages, which will obviously keep down the size of your mail spool.

With maildir and qmail, you won't have this problem -- you can archive messages and move them elsewhere without disrupting the other messages, and have thousands of messages without any noticeable performance problems.
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)
  9. cave painting, the 1st Opn Src

Thank you for the info...

Frog

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo