1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Email server newbie needs help!

I'll preface this by letting you know that I am a complete email server newbie. I run a small windows based network (mostly printer/file sharing) for a small company. We have recently switched ISP's and do not wish to pay the 80 bucks a month we were paying Qwest for 20 or so pop3 email accounts.

I've been toying around with Linux for the past 6 months and have read up on qmail quite a bit. So I have set out to set up qmail on a server I'm piecing together this week here at my work. I've found some very useful sites on the qmail install (lifewithqmail and qmailrocks.org) yet what I need to know more about is the physical network side of things.

I know we were given 1 public IP address from our ISP. This goes to the router, which dishes out IP's to all our desktops/file servers via NAT and DHCP. Will I need any additional IP's or can I use the pubilc one they gave me? Will this interfere with the router and/or the computers attached to it? Will my linux box with qmail use the pubilc IP or will it get an IP from the router like the rest of my servers? Sorry I'm a complete newbie here so any help would be appreciated.

Secondly, I've read a lot about the MX records. What exactly do these do, and how would I set them up? Our company currently has a website hosted by qwest, but I'm assuming we own the domain, it is www.<companyname>.com . I recently started working here, and unfortunately no one here remembers who set up the actual domain.

If I could get these first few initial steps out of the way, I think I can manage the actual qmail install with the resources I've found so far. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Mike
  3. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Will I need any additional IP's or can I use the pubilc one they gave me?
    You will need to configure your router/gateway to forward traffic on port 25 to port 25 on your qmail box.
    Will this interfere with the router and/or the computers attached to it?
    It shouldn't do. You will still be able to access the internet from the machines attached to your gateway. All you're doing is redirecting incoming SMTP traffic on your public IP to another machine.
    Will my linux box with qmail use the pubilc IP or will it get an IP from the router like the rest of my servers?
    Ideally it should have a fixed internal IP, and you can then use the router to forward port 25 traffic to it.
    Secondly, I've read a lot about the MX records. What exactly do these do
    They tell the outside world what IP address to deliver mail for your domain to. In your case, this would be your public IP.
    and how would I set them up
    Talk to whoever runs DNS for your domain. If you don't know this, run a whois and look for the name server entries.
    it is www.<companyname>.com
    No it's not. http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoyn...-dns-data.html
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks a lot for your help, answered all of my problems. Installing qmail as I write this. =)

I didn't provide a real address for my company for my own reasons, furthermore the basis of my questions did not rely around anyone else knowing it. Your answers were more than sufficient without divulging the information. Thank you again.

-Mike

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo