1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

General info on email and Postfix server

Hello,

I am trying to setup email for a website that I am helping develop. Ultimately, all we want is email addresses for all the people who work at the site and have the domain be the domain name of the website and have it be done in as cheap a manner as possible. For example, Volks73@omitthelogic.com.

What is the easiest way to accomplish this goal?

I figured we would have to have an email server, so I downloaded Postfix, as it seemed to be the easiest to configure, and tinkered with the main.cf file. However, I cannot get any mail sent to the individual users or even one user successfully.

Do I even need to worry about Postfix and our own mail server?

The server I am working with is running Linux Redhat 7.3. The server is connected through a router with NAT enabled and I have forwarded both the smtp port 25 and POP3 port 110 to the server. Postfix will open the smtp port and when I setup Outlook to connect to the server, the test emails are successful but I cannot retrieve them or find them physically on the server.

Basically, I just would like some information on the easiest way to get Volks73@omitthelogic.com as a viable email address.

Note: You can go to omitthelogic.com, but there is nothing really there. We are still working on the website.

Any help or information is greatly appreciated and I thank you for taking your time to help me. If you need additional information about my setup or the equipment I am working on please let me know.

Volks73
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Postfix will open the smtp port and when I setup Outlook to connect to the server, the test emails are successful but I cannot retrieve them or find them physically on the server.
    However, I cannot get any mail sent to the individual users or even one user successfully.
    You need a pop3 or imap server as well as postfix. See if you have an option to install ipop3d in your linux distro.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you. I checked the server and the ipop3d is installed already.

Will the ipop3d allow me to connect to the email server with Outlook? What about setting up email for each user with the domain name as the address?

Thanks again,
    Volks73
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

An easy way to admin your mailserver is to installWebmin and Virtualmin. Browse the site, there's some good information and a few How To's. Do check your Linux distro and see if Webmin is available, it'll be easier to install that way. Even if you decide not to install Webmin read through the links below:

Postfix Virtual
    Last edited by freemans-web; February 8th, 2004 at 04:51 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo