1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How To, Mail Server

i ma running my website off my personal server(win2k) and i woudl like to knwo wat software(title would be nice) i need to set up a mail server on it. i was using virtual smtp with the IIS but i dont want to forwarding emails and so on..
    i want to be able to send the email directly frommy server and have incomin email caught on my server, i know i cant do this because i do not jave a domain. is it possible to use an ip address instead?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Runs with scissors

Yes and no...

Good news / bad news.

The good news is that there's a fairly nice - and cheap (free for limited use) mail server availabe from ArgoSoft (http://www.argosoft.com/applications/mailserver/) that runs on Win2k.

The bad news is you probably need a Domain and a static IP. A static IP (or constantly update DNS redirector) so email can find you and a Domain because many ISP's do a lookup to see that the mail comes from a valid Domain AND that the IP and Domain belong to each other. -There are service that provide a redirector for this as well.

You could set it up as- is and it will probably work in a limited fashion but don't expect too much.

Hope that helps!
  5. No Profile Picture

well i am with a cable modem so my ip address changes maybe once every 2 months or so.

also, i am sharing hosting with my friends so i can esaily bounce incoming eamils from there to my personal computer. thx for teh help.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo