1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best solution for mailserver for outgoing mail only??

Hi all,

My wife and I run a wildlife website called gbwildlife and are looking into options for sending mail to our newsletter subscribers. We can send newsletters out via our hosting company (through the asp application) but this is restricted to 200 per hour which will take a while for 5000+ subscribers........

I have spoken to our ISP who say that if we purchase a static IP and setup a mailserver then mail will be unlimited.

My ideal scenario is that I setup a mailserver such as hmail on the same desktop computer (running XP Pro) as I do my day to day work on and use it solely for sending out mail to the newsletter subscribers once or twice a month which would mean that I only need to use it for outgoing mail and that I wouldn't need to change any MX records etc. for the domain as replies can come through the normal channels.

My question is whether the above is possible and if it is 'just' a case of installing hmail, setting up the outgoing mail settings, setting up an email account in outlook express with the smtp/pop server set as localhost and that would be about it??

Alternatively does anyone have suggestions for a solution which may be better?

Any help is much appreciated,

Regards

Andrew
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IMail Server.

IMail Server may be a viable option, from Ipswitch, Inc.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo