1. Learning all I can
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using alias addresses in a mail list

I have configured email aliases for all the members of my organization, and all the aliases use the same domain -- let's call it alias.com. Of course, each alias points to the individual person's "real" email address at home or work.

When I configure a new mail list -- list@alias.com -- and assign addresses to it, can I fill the list with the alias addresses and expect messages and replies to function properly? I don't fully understand how email servers work, so I'm afraid that when someone sends a message to the list, the server will look up the members of the list and send the message to all those aliases, which in turn get sent to everyone's real address. So, when the recipients receive the message, I *think* their email client will display their own real address. If that person then replies to the list, the reply will fail (bounce) because that real address is not registered on the list, and the mail server won't let non-list-members send mail to the list.

Can I stuff my list with aliases and expect replies, etc to work properly?

Thank you for your time.
    Curtis
    - living a newbie's dream
  3. Contributing User

Which MTA you are using? If you are using Postfix there is a function called Address Rewriting which can do address manipulation while a message flows through the Postfix system.
  5. Learning all I can

Originally Posted by fayax
    Which MTA you are using? If you are using Postfix there is a function called Address Rewriting which can do address manipulation while a message flows through the Postfix system.
    Not sure which transfer agent my host company uses.
    Thank you very much for the clue -- I'll investigate this
    further and see what shakes out.

I really appreciate your time.
    Curtis
    - living a newbie's dream
  7. Contributing User

Also there is another way you can do on your email client.
    On your email client change the "Reply address" of your email account to a valid email address.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo